Chapter 11 - Taking the term 'Snow-Elves' to new extremes.

I woke up when the weakest light of sunrise danced across my face. It looked like I was early, so I took the time to wash myself. Then put on trousers, leather boots that reached to just below my knees, a white cloth around my breasts so they wouldn't get in the way, a white undershirt and a royal blue tunic with white details around the edges. I wore minimal armour, just shoulder, shin, and lower arm guards, in a way that assumed that most of my foes would be right-handed.
I threw on my belt and started arming myself. Three daggers, a sword, a bow and a quiver of arrows. I made a few braids that made sure my hair stayed out of my face. The only strand that hung loose was the marriage braid.

I took a detour to the square where we'd gather. I walked past the fountain where the Dwarves had bathed so many decades before, and the area where they had resided. I smiled at the good memories it brought to me.
I arrived at the rendezvous point and saw that almost everyone was there already, save for Frodo.
"You took your time," Merry berated me.
"I just took a detour past some old memories," I defended myself.
When he looked confused, I explained. "We spent some time in Rivendell when I travelled to the mountain with Bilbo. Turned the place upside down actually. Elrond must remember it all less fondly than me." Gimli was already rolling his eyes, not wanting to hear the entire story again.

Speaking of Elrond, I could hear him and Frodo coming.
"His heart is set upon going. There will be no stopping him, even if you did send him home in a sack," Frodo chuckled.
"Let it be so then. The Fellowship awaits."
Frodo and Elrond turned the corner. Elrond halted halfway down the stairs among a group of Elves, among which was Lindir. Frodo continued on until he reached us.
Elrond wished us good fortune and blessed our quest in the name of all the free people of Middle Earth.
I could tell that Frodo was anxious. He was trembling slightly and his breathing was erratic. Not very serious, but not very pleasant either. Poor guy.
He walked to the gate and stood still, glancing from one side to the other. "Mordor, Gandalf, is it left, or right?" he said softly.
Gandalf put his hand on Frodo's shoulder. "Left."

And so, we were off. The Misty Mountains were looming ever closer in the distance. I honestly never thought I'd be around here ever again. Miles off the road trying to get to a place on the other side of the mountains.

                                   -~-

We were having a day off on top of a hill. Boromir and I were sparring to show the Hobbits how someone who's not very big can take out larger foes.

"You see, if they come at you-" Boromir made a calculated attack that would miss me even if my reaction was too slow. "-you'll have to jump aside-" I dodged. "-and quickly try to get behind your adversary." I did so, kicking up a bit of dust as I made a sharp turn. "When you're behind them, you stab 'em in the back of the knees." Instead of stabbing I swept Boromir's legs and he fell to the ground with a cry of surprise, I hadn't told him I'd do that.
"Then you say something like 'who's small now, bitch?' Before you end them." I stuck out my hand to help Boromir, he flinched away but recovered too quickly for me to joke about it.

Boromir had grown on me. I guess travel to your indisputable demise does that to people. But at this point we were still confident that we'd all make it back.

The Hobbits and Boromir continued practicing and I joined Legolas on the edge of the plateau. I stared into the distance next to him but didn't take anything in as I listened to Gimli ranting to Gandalf. "If anyone were to ask for my opinion, which I note they have not, I would say we are taking the long way round. Gandalf, we can pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin, Balin, would give us a royal welcome."
Without even looking at either of them, I could tell that Gandalf thought this was a very bad idea. To be fair, he seemed to think this of any idea cooked up by a Dwarf. I silently agreed with Gimli though. It would be nice to see Balin and the rest again after all those years.
"No, Gimli. I would not take the road through Moria, unless I had no other choice."