Our First Appointment

It was Wednesday morning and I was nervous as hell, I hadn't seen my mom at all, and even though she was supporting me, she was the tougher one, not my dad. I was also nervous because Nick was coming, I thought for sure he was going to let me do this alone, but he surprised me by asking to go with.... I guess you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover...

I wasn't going back to school today so I dressed in comfy yoga pants and a grey tank top. I headed downstairs and grabbed some breakfast, my mom would be home any minute and I was so scared of what was going to happen... As I sat eating my cereal my mom arrived home, and my dad carried her bags upstairs leaving us alone, staring at eachother.

"Hi honey." my mom smiled weakly.

"Hey mom..... I missed you.." god this was so awkward!

"I missed you too, I hate those business trips."

"Yeah, their too long." I shifted uneasily on my feet.

"Okay, we're both avoiding it, how have you been feeling?"

"Uh, sick, and tired, and emotional.... Yeah, that about sums it up mom." I grunted.

"Well, your dad told me all of what happened, and I am upset, but you can't change what has already happened, so, are you ready?" she grabbed the keys off the counter.

"Actually, mom, Nick was going to come along, he wants to be involved..."

"Well that's good, I get to meet him, and he's not ignoring the issue, so he's got some brains."

"Well, I'll wash my dish up, he should be here by the time I'm done."

"Okay, I'm just gonna run up to the bathroom okay sweetie?"

"Alright." I walked back into the kitchen and rinsed my bowl and put it in the sink, then sat on the couch, and as I got comfy, the doorbell rang. I groaned and dragged myself to answer the door. When I opened it, Nick, of course, was standing there, and he looked pretty darn hot, but we won't tell him that... He wore a brown shirt and dark blue jeans, and his hair looked like he had been running his hands through it.

"Uh, come on in, I'll go get my mom." I smiled.

"Alright, is your dad coming to?"

"No, he's got work, but if you want to have dinner with us tonight I'm sure he would love to have you over." oh my god what was I saying?!

"Sure, I'll just have to let my parents know."

"So you told them?"

"Yeah, they weren't too happy, but they accepted it, and besides, my dad had a kid at eighteen, so he understands.... Except, he wasn't seduced or anything." Nick smiled gentley at me, and I couldn't help but smile back.

"Well, I'll be right back." I raced up the stairs and called for my mom, she came out of her room and followed me downstairs, "Mom, this is Nick. Nick, my mom." they shook hands and exchanged a few words, and before I knew it, we were in the car.

***

Unlike other doctor's offices, this one was warm, and homey feeling. A few women sat in the waiting room, some barely showing, and some looking like they were due any second. One thing that made me shrink back in fear and shame, was the fact that they were all older, and wearing wedding rings, and I was only a teen girl, no boyfriend, no ring, not even a high school diploma! I signed in at the desk, and tried to ignore the stares as I walked back to my seat.

"These women act like your a pregnant man walking around." Nick scoffed, "They need to mind they're own business." he said a little loudly.

"Nick!" I laughed and hit him playfully.