Chapter 14

"Amber?"

I strained my eyes to see, sure that I was mistaken. But I wasn't. Amber Brady was sitting on a chair before me, looking hella annoyed.

"Well, finally you showed up!" she huffed as she stood. Dimly, I could see that she still wore the clothes from school-a plaid pencil skirt and a pink long-sleeved shirt. Both items were very tight.

"Wha-what are you doing here?" I asked, not able to control the fear seeping into my voice. "Are you one of them? I swear I always liked you!" I cursed my babbling mouth. She can't be. There is nothing divine about her.

But Amber only scowled disdainfully, a look that was purely human. I felt myself relax.

"What are you talking about, Sierra?" she asked suspiciously, edging closer.

I started to sweat. "N-nothing."

I could see that I wasn't selling it, so I quickly changed the subject. "Hold up," I said, putting up a hand. I could barely see her so I clicked my flashlight on. The small parlor room flooded with bluish light. It really was her after all.

"Amber, what are you doing here?!" I exclaimed. "You're just sitting in an old abandoned house, waiting for me? What is wrong with you?"

She only waved me off. "Please, Sierra. I've come here a million times."

How could I have possibly forgotten? Landon and multiple other guys had taken her here to...well, do more than "just be friends".

The image of her and Zach possibly here in this place...all alone...in the dark...made my head spin. I wondered if I was going to see him step out from the shadows, his easy smile on his face. I wondered if he had already told her yes to the dance.

"Right," came my strangled reply. I scanned the darkness, whipping my flashlight back and forth as if Zach Morgan was going to materialize any second. "Are...are you alone?"

"Yes, Sierra," Amber said annoyed. "I'm not here with some guy, if that's what you think."

"Oh," I relaxed my stance. "Then why are you here?"

"I saw Joel and Jamie talking to you today. I heard them mention the Millner place, and I was wondering what exactly what you were up to."

Heat flooded my cheeks. "So you were keeping tabs on me?" I choked out, unable to fathom what exactly she was thinking.

She stood before me. Her eyes narrowed. "Listen, a lot of girls want to be friends with me. You think Diana and Cat are the only ones that have been with me throughout the years? They come and go."

"What's your point?"

"My point is that none of them have gained popularity by sneaking around!" she hissed, stamping her foot. She resembled a young child throwing a temper tantrum. I tried to stifle my laughter.

"I'm not someone to be ordered around," I shot back. "I mean, what do you think you're doing Amber? You're waiting around in a dark, creaky house just so you can track me down. My God, you really are my best friend!" I cried sarcastically, throwing my hands up in the air.

Her eyes flashed as she took a step closer. The blue flashlight illuminated the shadows of her face, revealing the bony contours of her cheeks. She looked terrifying. And for a moment, she looked just like Artemis.