Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Summer Bummer

Setting: Bluff View, Dallas, Texas

Boredom. That's all that ever existed in the air. They talk about Dallas being the most industrial and touristy. Maybe they were wrong.

"Myles, why don't you go outside? Ayla is worried about your lack of tan and your mood from hanging out in the dark all day."

I rolled my eyes. What was even the point? All I'll ever get is lectured if I venture outside. Ayla is sweet and understanding, but her sister Tora is a complete bitch.

"Myles, do take your mother's suggestion into account--you've barely left the house in days."

"Maybe 'cause I have an illness and am allergic to the sun." I sassed, laying back on the couch, book in hand. My green eyes were peeled to each word in my book. It's called Gone By The Wind. Don't ask where I got it from or why I like it so much. Part of me doesn't know why, another part is fascinated with the 60s.

I eat a lot at dinner. My plate practically filled of fresh grown fruit and my mother's famous casserole. My parents like a bit of everything when it comes to food. So I guess I take after them. I also take after my mother's soft brown hair, which was usually curly if not cut.

My mom is a famous cook, like my grandmother was, and she loved to cook up a storm of her passion and share it with us. She also only exited college a few years ago, so that's another thing. My parents were very young. Very young to meet. Very young to marry. And very young to conceive me. It is sort of disrespectful to talk about people's ages, but I do anyways.

We heard a knock at the door. Ayla Wilson, my best friend. She and I grew up together. In a way her parents were like parents to me as well, always inviting me for dinner or sleepovers.

"Hey Myles," she said.

I nodded. "What's up?"

Ayla is so beautiful. Dark red hair and soft brown eyes. All of the guys in our class fall head over heels for her, but she's reserved and confident in her successes. Her older sister is another story. The slut walking around with her legs open and her cleavage on display, mere glimpse of her supple breasts. Girl didn't have a boyfriend, but with the way she does it, she has guys on their knees in a week, begging for their turn with her. I don't mean to sound rude, but that's just the way it is. Always has been.

"How's Tora? Onto the next willing hillbilly?"

Ayla rolled her eyes. Her caramel brown eyes always observing her surroundings, knowing the high risk of getting assaulted in this neighborhood. "She is fine. Out with her friends."

"I'm sorry, I just can't help my outward opinions towards her."

"I get it, Mys. I have to live with her. I get it." She said. It was tough always having guys over and her having no choice but to hear the action from only a few doors down.

"Come on," I said pulling Ayla up. "Let's go ride our bikes." And we rode our bikes around the city of Bluff View. It was a busy city, but I knew a few amusement parks when I saw them. Only places we went to for fun as kids--when our parents would let us go. Now it was practically our place. Mine and Aylas.

We stopped and had a mini picnic with granola bars. Leave it to me to pack sweets in preparation.

"So, you coming to the game tomorrow?" Ayla asked, biting into her bar.

I shrugged. "What game?"

Ayla gave me an incredulous look. "Really? What do you do all summer except read books and stare into the darkness that is your room?"

I huffed and ate the rest of the granola.

"Well, we got a new basketball team and they are coming to play on the field."

"What are they like?"

"Don't know. All I know is that they are from college, and the only available net and practice court that work for them is ours."

"Very close minded. They are plenty of ball parks awaiting huge, top notch college boys who want to horse around with balls."

Ayla laughed and nearly spit her granola out. "Myles, you take nothing seriously do you?"

I bit back a smirk and played along. "Why no? Not even I would wait for the perfect opportunity to play with balls just to prove a point."

We finished our snacks. We laughed too. I guess I needed this. Ayla always knew what I needed. She knew me well.

I decided to go to the game tomorrow (afternoon or night?) after being convinced by Ayla and her large brown orbs that just suck you in against your will.

Until tomorrow.....

+ Side Note +

Hiyeee!

Chapter 1 complete. Sorry for the shortness, but think of this as a mini prologue leading into the main course. *wink wink*

On to the main event, ladies and gentle-Watties...I had to. Sorry not sorry.

- LilaRose28 -