12 - Powers Collide

Previously on Super Secret:

"What do you all want? This obviously isn't some peaceful negotiation talk, so spit it out. What are you here for? You can't have the mayor - he's hidden where you'll never find him."

  "Oh doll, that's the thing," Vortex takes a menacing step towards me. I try not to shrink back. This man oozes charm and reeks of danger. "We didn't come for the mayor, he was only the bait."

  Blaze lets out a dark laugh, and I turn to him. There's an inferno raging behind his eyes.

  "We're here for you."

~

“Here for me?” I register the shock in my voice even as a low roaring builds in my ears. Why would these super-thugs be here for me? It wasn’t as if they had done something bad, I stopped them, and now they were looking for a fight - no, this was solely about me.

Granted, I am a superhero, and they are supervillains, but why call me out now? Was Blaze getting cocky?

“Look,” I began, holding my hands out in front of me like lethal weapons, “Just because you’ve got some extra firepower doesn’t mean you can handle the heat.”

Blaze only chuckled, a dark, rich sound, and snapped his fingers, igniting a small flame that hovered in the air. He pinned me with his fiery eyes, and when he spoke his voice was full of smoke and menacing shadows. “I am the heat.”

“Yeah, sure, fire-pun I get it. Next time if you could avoid bringing the entourage, it’s already hard enough as it is trying to remember your name. Soon I’ll have to start carrying a notebook with me to every battle in case I need to jot down the newest villain of the week.”

He snorted. “What, your diary too full?”

A wicked smile curved my lips. “Actually, I have room for one more entry, and I know what I’ll be filling it with tonight…” I focused on Dream, who was startled at the sudden attention, and mocked fanning myself.

“I mean, you’re hot and all Blaze, but this guy is the definition of dreamboy.” At this point all three men looked sufficiently angry, and on various levels of embarrassment.

Vortex looked from Blaze to me, clearly bored of the banter, an evident scowl on his face. “And I am tired of your petty pissing contest. Are we going to do this or stand around all day comparing sizes?”

I flicked my wrist, creating a honed icicle that was ready to stab out this idiot’s eye if I had to. Dream looked at Vortex like he had just ripped off his suit and announced his true identity to the world. Most likely because of the murderous look Blaze was throwing at Vortex at the moment. There was no doubt in my mind that if this was a contest on territory, Blaze was alpha.

Vortex cocked his head in my direction, not cowed by all the murderous intention he was receiving. “Now or never flame-boy. Put this plan into action.” My muscles tensed, preparing for the fight. I still had yet to see how tough these guys were - maybe if I beat Blaze first I could hold off the other two until an opportunity to escape arose.

All three villains stood in front of me, Dream to my left, Vortex dead ahead, and Blaze to my right. I found it slightly odd that he hadn’t situated himself in the middle, considering how much he loved shows of power & strength. Stop it Snowflake - thinking of things as trivial as this won’t win you any battles. As a great man once said: keep your head in the game.

“Who’s gonna be the first to get a beat-down? Hot-head, Swirly, or Dreamy-Abs over here?” I curled my fingers, causing the ice-pick to turn in lazy circles midair. Frost still coated my body, and by now a thin layer of it had started to creep across the ground around me. I was charged up and ready for battle, and taunting would only incite these super-thugs to get angry and slip up. Or kill me. Whichever came first.