My Journey with Underactive Thyroid

MY JOURNEY WITH UNDERACTIVE THYROID

My name is Sara and I'm 28. I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid when I was 14 years old.

As a toddler growing up, my mum knew I had underactive thyroid, as she was diagnosed with it as a baby and she noticed I had some of the symptoms. I was gaining a lot of weight fast at a young age but was eating all the right things and exercising, but still getting bigger.

When aged six my mum took me to the doctors and asked for me to be tested however they refused. They said it was just puppy fat and that It would go as I got older and more active. Unfortunately that didn't happen and as a result I just kept gaining weight.

Because I was noticeably different from other kids, as I was bigger, I got bullied a lot, which made it a struggle to wake up on a morning, accompanied with fatigue, feeling like I hadn't slept. After a full night's sleep I was very low on energy.

It wasn't until I reached 14 years old that they finally decided to do a blood test to check my hormone levels, and as my mum had said many years before, I was told I had underactive thyroid.

I become rebellious, because through all this time I had suffered bullying, been put through workout sessions, special meals prepared at school in an attempt to help me loose the weight I was constantly gaining but to no avail, when all it took was for the doctors to do a simple blood test.

I eventually accepted the condition and started taking my medication however the damage had already been done through all the years of being refused a blood test. I ended up standing on the scales weighing in at 31 stone. I have to admit I played my part in that by the food I chose to eat after been put on medication, as I was in denial and rebelling to the incompetence of the doctors.

After 28 years of ups and downs and 12 years of rebellion and denial, the last couple of years by the will of God, and with the help and persistence of my husband, it has allowed me to take control and accept what's happened and take responsibility.

By the will of God, I'm now taking my meds daily and making better food choices and am on a journey in to losing the weight that was built up from all those years of doctors' incompetence and personal self neglect, self destruction and rebellion.

If I could say anything to anyone, I would say this:

If you believe a family member, a loved one, a friend, neighbour, etc. shows any signs of underactive thyroid, then mention it to them and tell them to speak to their doctor and don't take no for an answer. Be persistent, as some doctors can be difficult. It only takes a simple blood test and it could make a big difference to your life and make for a better future.

For me, I now know this was part of my journey and a test for me from God and I now need to remain patient and accepting with whatever else comes my way, even if I don't understand why. God knows what's best for me and I put my full trust in Him.