Chapter 1

As I finished the icing on the last cupcake, I couldn't help but remember her. She was always like a fly buzzing around in my brain, tugging on my reality. I wished with every piece of my heart that she was here right now.

It had been over half a year since my best friend, Summer, went to Paris to stay with her aunt and uncle for a while. I never truly figured out how long 'a while' would be. I lost hope after 3 months passed by, school started up again, and my companion was drowned in my memories. 

I wiped flour on my apron, thinking of the many times I had baked with Summer. Baking had never been my strong suit, but it had always been hers. She had never minded getting messy, and she always knew what secret ingredients to put in to make her pastries shine.

I was never jealous of Summer's raw talent. I had one of my own: music.

My nimble fingers spun past hers, creating songs and notes like a morning bird's tune. We both helped out each other; I helped with her bake sales and she went to my piano recitals.

However, now, my baking wasn't for a bake sale. These small cupcakes were to sell for my neighbors; I was saving up money for college. At least, that's what I told my parents.

Although music helped, working hard to earn money was my other distraction from a problem that arose after Summer left: my parents.

I set the last cupcake on a tray to sell later before hurrying to my room. I zipped past my parents' room, trying to block out the sound of arguing. Constantly, my parents were at each other's throats. I had no idea why. But an idea haunted my mind, the idea that I might be the source of their unreasonable squabbles. I only wished to be away from the words that struck like daggers into my heart.

Summer had made up my family. I was always with her, at the mall, at school, everywhere. That was why it took me so long to realize my parent's arguments that they tried so hard to conceal. 

My only sibling, my sister Amy, had gone to college while I was in middle school. We visited once, but she lived halfway across the country in Georgia, so our talks were brief and painful. 

Summer was my sister. But now she was gone.

As I entered my dark, purple room, I put in my headphones and let my head rest against the wall. Migraines. Spots appeared in my vision as I tried to focus on the positive. My stomach twisted and tumbled. I had never had a migraine before Summer left. But once she was gone, I felt like a turtle out of its shell, open to new predators and wounds. My parents' arguing combined with my pity for myself resulted in a splitting headache that wouldn't end until I threw up.

Was there any way for things to go back to normal? I thought as I sat in pain. I glanced at the jar on my dresser, filled nearly to the brim with dimes, quarters, and dollars. A sudden idea hit my brain faster than a bee on a flower. 

I waited until my migraine ended and my mom prepared dinner until I explained my plan. 

***

"Paris?" my mom gasped in surprised. "What about the cost? I-"

"I have it," I answered determinedly, yet my voice shook. I wasn't one to be bold, but I had to be. I couldn't go on living like this.

Coins hit our wooden table like a shower of gold, and dollars floated down like leaves. I let a small smile slip onto my face as my parents' eye bulged out of their heads.

"This idea is kind of crazy, Sasha, but..." my dad sighed and shook his head. "I do have some cousins that live in Paris, Pierre, Rose, and their son, Theo. It might just work."

Before my mom could object, I quickly threw in, "Just for a little while I just need to see Summer for 3 months. I'll be back before school starts up again."

"You could go during the summer," my dad realized suddenly. "Maybe it would be for the best."

"For the best," my mom repeated, her voice cracking. "You don't care about Sasha at all! Just ship her away halfway across the world?"

"It'll be temporary! Besides, I know Pierre, and he-"

"Pierre?! He's just some distant relative! How can you know that he'll keep our little Sasha safe?!" My mom cried, exasperated.

My dad immediately lost his temper. "Why won't you ever listen?! I-"

"STOP!" I exclaimed, on my feet now, tears in my blue eyes. I watched as one of them slipped from my eyes and dripped into my brown hair. "Please stop..."

My mom and dad looked at each other, just now realizing the pain they had caused me for so long now. The concern is shown in both of their eyes.

"Honey, we are so-"

"Don't," I whispered. "Just LEAVE ME ALONE!" 

I fled to my room, threw my headphones on, blocking out the rest of the world with music. That was the only thing that made sense now.

***

Hey guys! I know this isn't really miraculous ladybug yet but don't worry! It's coming! Please comment on any grammar errors or things I could improve! Thanks!!!