Chapter 3

"Excusez-moi?" A male voice made me jump and turn around anxiously.

"Oh! Sorry, I- oops, I mean, uh, bonjour?" I stumbled with words, fear rippling through my chest as I stared numbly.

A boy around my age laughed. He had beautiful golden hair and pearly teeth. His green eyes mimicked a cat's and his smile was bright.

"Don't worry," he laughed. "I speak a little English. I'm Adrien." He reached out his hand for me to shake.

I laughed nervously, overcome with worry. I shook his hand, my palms sweaty. "I'm Sasha."

"What a beautiful, exquisite name you have, Sasha!" A new voice called. A boy stepped out from behind Adrien. "I'm Bretton."

I felt my cheeks turn hot with embarrassment at his compliment. My heart searched for something to return, but my mouth was dry.

Bretton had thick, black hair that hung over his sharp diamond eyes. His smile could make birds sing, and his tone of voice made my heart ache with wonder.

Everything in Paris was different. Softer, more gentle. The language, the compliments... I blushed again. Here, I felt like a princess in the midst of dazzling princes.

Although I definitely didn't look like a princess. With my long flowery leggings and my regular blue jacket, I wasn't anything special.

"We better head inside, I don't want to be late," Adrien informed me. I snapped out of my fantasy as I felt a hand grip mine.

I gasped as Bretton pulled me through the door, his smile sparkling.

I let go of his hand as I met the teacher's gaze. Gulping, I found myself at the mouth of a lion's den. Bretton winked at me before turning to the teacher.

Speaking in French, Bretton began. "Madame, please excuse us," Bretton waved his hand at me and Adrien. "We had just gotten to school and we met Sasha. Because she is new, we decided to quickly show her around a bit before class time. We got a bit lost, though I helped us find our way back."

The teacher nodded her approval and pointed at the three remaining seats. "Please take your seats. I am Madame Josephine, and I am the teacher of this year's class. Welcome, Sasha. You will learn much in this class."

There were three seats left, each table separated into twos. I saw my best friend, Summer, sitting next to another girl who I guessed was her cousin. I waved, jealousy forming in my soul. I shook it off and continued walking. Adrien sat next to a different friend and Bretton sat next to someone else as well. That meant I had to sit next to a stranger.

I set down my flowery backpack on the desk and looked around. The classroom didn't look much different from the ones in Utah, although everyone used tablets instead of notebooks like mine. I clutched my rose notebook to my chest in embarrassment. I hated being singled out.

"This year, we will be learning new techniques, new chords, and new sounds!" She clapped her hands together gleefully before continuing.

Madame Josephine had blonde hair that was tightly put up in a bun. She had sharp, blue hawk eyes and thin lips. Her tall, strong legs and sophisticated outfit portrayed her as a ballerina.

I struggled to follow her ramble when I heard a whisper behind me.

"Hey, my name is Dustin," I turned to face his bright grin.