6|Strangers

Eddie

Eddie's work in journalism took him different places. He'd taken the chance to briefly 'interview' Cletus Kasedy, also your much older step-brother, without you knowing once he was transferred to San Quenton. Putting it that way, it seemed like he was going behind your back, but he wasn't sure how you'd react to that information.

Cletus asked about you, and he just ignored it, keeping on a sly smile while talking to the asshole in prison.

Of course, that's not the only thing he picked up in the last two and a half months. Journalism allowed him to interview other people, do his own research at home and with the things he wrote about, Eddie also picked up new leads about his goal at the moment- the criminal mob in San Francisco. He supposed being in this kind of work had its perks. It certainly made it easier than having to interrogate criminals all the time and only low-key interrogate other people.

His recent findings had lead him to a warehouse where he found that a group of criminals were kidnapping kids, all of them around the ages fourteen to nineteen.

One could assume he did this for a noble reason, and that was partly the reason. As one of the assholes who lived in the city, he should be someone to act when no one else would. He only hoped his niece could follow in his footsteps someday.

Speaking of his niece, you were also the reason he took a stand against the shit going on. Being a foster parent wasn't particularly easy, but he couldn't imagine you being the foster-child of anybody else.

Well, except maybe Anne, but that was beside the point. There was a responsibility he felt towards you. He'd felt it before, a few years back when he tried to look after you because of your family situation. His brother was in prison, and your step-brother was a psychopath that no one did anything about. Your mother was innocent enough, but she had her moments of unintentional accession.

If you were gonna be in his city, he and Venom would be damn sure to make it as safe as they could for you.

"Ready?" asked Eddie, hands in his pockets as he snuck around the terrain.

"Whenever you are," Venom engulfed Eddie's body, and the black muscle covered him all over.

It was one AM, late at night. It was around this time he'd gotten used to doing things like this, when he'd make sure that you were asleep and the door was locked. The window had been replaced weeks ago, and he bought curtains to cover it up. If he had to leave any earlier while you were still awake, he'd take you to Anne's to stay for the night.

Despite the family situation you'd been in, you had miraculously not turned into a delinquent child. For a long time Eddie was worried that would be the case when you were older, but so far it hasn't come true. He would do everything to make sure it stayed that way too. Especially since you were gonna start high school soon, which he knew from expirience could be a rough time period.

Goodbye Summer, hello Fall, he thought to himself. You were already registered for high school, and it would only begin in three days from now. Eddie wondered how life would change for you both when you would enter.

The week before, Eddie had managed to find out information from a victim (whom he'd managed to rescue as Venom from some gang the previous night) where he'd learned the crime syndicate responsible for the kidnappings and latest crimes was called the Maggia. He and Venom thought that that title was kinda lame, but they proceeded anyway.

They tracked down one of the criminals involved and also found out their leader, who the guy only called. Mr. H. Apparently, his real surname was unknown. When he asked what the H stood for, he was only told "you'll see."