26 - Effort (Prompt 'team')

500 word weekend write in for 25th January 2019 - 'team'

Music: THEME FROM JAWS || John Williams - (as if you didn't know)

Spencer's body trembled. More from anticipation than fear, although the latter element was not far from the fore.

He needed to cross the expanse of ground. Safely. There was a target over yonder which he simply had to reach. It was going to take a coordinated, precisely timed effort to make it. His team, identified only by numbers, crouched. Ready. But nervous.

There was danger out there and this exercise could be over before it had even begun. The enemy lurked nearby, he could sense it, more than see them. The hairs on his body prickled.

Communication was a matter of tight, abbreviated clicks. He had to make sure all members would work in unison - past mistakes had almost cost them. In fact, it had. No 3 was only half what they used to be and No 7 was a bit lame but the team spirit which remained was admirable.

It was time for a ready-check. "Okay then team, are we set?" He said in a brief series of clicks.

A shuffle of feet and a slight projection forward was the only answer he received. Good enough.

"Remember, keep it tight. Our goal lies in that distant wall. We need to get around the fallen tree without incident." He honed in on the piece of dead wood lying about halfway towards the target. He was pretty sure it had been placed strategically by the enemy, an attempt to hinder his progress. But, with precision and timing, he knew the obstacle could be easily overcome.

Movement on a ledge above the target caught his attention. He had competition! Instinct sharpened his senses and he could have sworn the silk netting over the target area shimmered. No! This could not be! It was his time for victory.

Not that he was particularly devout, he nevertheless prayed to the god Ananse for speed, good fortune, courage and (although it was a truly uncharacteristic predilection) a wish for his competition to fail.

He readied his team and with a final scan of the area, he ordered the advance.

No sooner had he emerged from his hiding place, the enemy moved forward. He could not afford to let fear stop him in his tracks, he needed to reach his goal. "Move it, team!" he clicked furiously. "Move it!"

The deep growl from his left was accompanied by a hiss. The canine had been joined by the feline! Sweet mercy, two of them were after him. His team of articulated legs scuttled him over the carpet. "Don't give up now No 7!" he clicked desperately.

He spied a crack in the skirting.

The ground vibrated with the thundering paws of his adversaries as they pounced but, he was almost there.

Almost. He bounced from the attempted ambush.

Nearly. He shot past the fallen tree (Fido's stick) and pushed himself to the limit.

Just about...

"Whew!" He'd reached safety and stopped, Nos 7 and 4 crumpling beneath him, exhausted from the effort. The cat and dog were snuffling nearby, confused by his sudden disappearance inside the surrounding panel.

But, his competition had beaten him. He watched with despair as the beautiful Arachne invited a new suitor into her den, the silk curtain being swept aside to allow him entrance.

His eight eyes soon spun in horror, however, when he witnessed Arachne devour the competition with a sickening crunch. His team drew up around him as the spider queen's multi-faceted gaze settled upon him. "Hello, handsome," she clicked.

It was then Spencer decided some efforts were best not made. He tormented the cat and dog further as they then watched him scurry up the wall towards the ceiling.

 He tormented the cat and dog further as they then watched him scurry up the wall towards the ceiling