CHΔPTER TWENTY-ONE

"Where were you last night?" I heard a familiar voice saying from the living room as I closed the door of the flat. I saw Kyle get up from the couch and take a few steps towards the front entrance.

"I should ask you the same thing," I said, not looking at him as I slipped off my shoes. I had left the clothes I had worn to the club last night at Dan's flat, and was now still wearing the clothes Dan had leant me last night.

"Whose are those?" Kyle asked, pointing at my over-sized clothing.

"Dan's," I said coldly, giving him an attitude. I brushed past him into the kitchen, pulling a water bottle out of the fridge.

"You left with Dan last night?" he asked. I looked at him and saw his face turning a subtle shade of red, one eyebrow cocked up. "Is that where you went? Why'd you leave with him?" he continued questioning me.

"Because you weren't there," I stated, staring him hard in the eyes. "You know, those places, even though they can be fun, are dangerous too. There's tons of creeps in there and if it weren't for Dan who knows where I would even be right now."

"I was there too, Jessalyn," he said, his voice getting more stern.

"No," I let out a sarcastic laugh, "no you were too busy whoring around with that Tori girl!" He looked taken aback. Did he think I didn't know about her, or didn't care? He opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out, so I continued, "Yes, I know about her. Becuase you're clearly in some kind of relationship with her. You sit here and play me like a puppet, and then go off with her and tell her all about me and how much of a burden I am to you. Because of me, you two clearly have trouble getting together to have sex."

His face had gone white. I almost felt bad, but it felt good to get it all out. And seeing his face proved that everything I had just said was true. I felt my face getting redder by the second. Tears burned in my eyes but I stood up straight and held them back.

"That's not true," he said unconvincingly.

"It is true, Kyle. If I'm such a problem, why don't you just tell me to leave? Or do you just pity me so much that-" he cut me off, stepping into the kitchen to be closer to me.

"I don't pity you. Well, I do I suppose. I feel bad for you. I feel for you. I wish you had a better life and a loving family and I wish the things that happened to you never did, but I wouldn't keep you here just because I feel bad for you," he said.

"Then why have you kept me here if having sex with her is so important for you?" I spat out.

"I don't know, I'm stupid," he mumbled, looking down at his feet.

"That's a brilliant explanation," I rolled my eyes. "You kept me here and you... you made me think you were actually interested in me or something."

"I am," I thought I heard him say.

"What?" I leaned forward, trying to hear him.

"I love you, Jessalyn," he said loud and clear, lifting his head and looking me in the eye.

"You said the same thing to Tori too," I turned my head. He told Tori he loved her. And he just told me he loved me. Hearing that gave me goosebumps, but I wasn't going to fall for it. I wouldn't let myself fall into his trap. My heart ached to tell him I loved him too, but my brain said no.

"I don't love her. I don't ever want her to be here or live here. I don't want her to be best friends with my best friends like you are. I don't want her in my life anymore because she's just used me and the only way I can see that is because of you," he said.

"I don't know if I believe that." I was being so stubborn but I didn't care. "You know, I could just leave now. I'll find a place to stay somewhere, but I can leave. I should leave."

"Don't leave," he said. His eye were big, as if they were pleading me to stay.

"I don't think you care about me as much as you're trying to convince me, and yourself, that you do."

"Jessalyn..." he stared at me. His eyes were shining in the light. Shining more than usual... was he about to cry?

"Kyle, I don't want to be used or played or anything like that," I let a tear fall down my cheek, quickly wiping it off. I hoped he didn't notice, but he did. He took a step closer to me so we were now just inches apart.

"Jessalyn, I'm not going to do that," he looked directly into my eyes. I backed up slightly, but he caught me completely by surprise, because next thing I knew I was against the fridge, his body pressed against mine as his lips crashed into mine. He had one hand on my waist and the other on my head, his fingers messing up my already messed up hair.

I hesitated for a moment, trying to process what was going on. I began kissing him back, wrapping my arms around his neck. He lifted me up so our heads were almost level, his hands supporting me. I broke the kiss and stared into his eyes.

"I love you," he mumbled.

And I believed him. This time I knew that he really loved me. Maybe it was the way the kiss sent sparks through my body, or how his touch sent shivers down my spine, or how his eyes sparkled, but I let myself fall one hundred percent in that moment.

"I love you too," I whispered.