In Omnia Paratus

I decide to head to my room and am not surprised to see all the girls freaking out excitedly about their invitations. I assume they received them in a similar manner as me. "This is what we have been waiting for!" Quinn squeals excitedly.

I love her excitement. But, as I look around, I realize I don't need a secret society or sorority to be happy in college. I've already got the best friends a girl could need. But they seem excited, so I will feign interest as well and just join in on their enthusiasm.

After a bit of relaxing, we make our way down to the front of our building. We all put our blindfolds on awaiting our impending kidnapping. It doesn't take long at all until someone comes and pulls me into a car. Either this is it or I have been fooled and I really am being kidnapped. Then I hear the same voice from earlier tell me not to worry. "Gee, thanks Sparky. I usually find it comforting when my kidnappers tell me 'not to worry', so that was super helpful."

After what seems like hours, and feeling an increasingly urgent urge to tinkle myself, we finally come to a stop. I am escorted from the vehicle into a room. I am instructed to count to ten before removing my blindfold. In the spirit of the event, I do as I'm told.

When I finally open my eyes, I see that I am in a curtained off room. Hung in front of me is a beautiful blue Ombre Marchesa, off the shoulder, corset bodice, tulle ball gown with a velvet flower corsage near the top. I also notice that there are earrings, a bracelet, brush, and shoes available for me as well. I quickly get dressed and pull most of my hair except chunk in the front up in a teased-out pony tail. Then I split the front into two sections and braid them back wrapping them around the up-do. I quickly loosen the braided part so it's a chunky braid instead of a tight one to give it a hint of elegance. If I went to any event without attempting to do something with my hair and my grandma Shira found out, she would have a heart attack. I am just glad I put on makeup before we left as there appears to be none here, oh well.

Just as I finished slipping into my shoes, I hear a knock at the door. I open the door to a man in a steampunk plague mask. He hands me a gold more feminine steampunk mask and instructs me to put it on and not remove it for any reason as to not compromise the integrity of the event. I follow him down the dimly blue lit hallway to the darkened stairs that are covered with a hint of fog.

Once we have descended the stairs I noticed a group of girls just to the side, and I would notice those five anywhere. Even in this creepy blue recessed lighting and fogged out room. I am just stepping off the bottom step when a hand grabs my arm and gestures with a head nod toward the dance floor. I wonder if the others had to instantly dance when they came down?

I must admit this is much more intense than rush week was. I take his hand and let him lead me out onto the dance floor. I've noticed all the guys are wearing steampunk plague mask with screens over the eyes and the same slim fit black tuxedo. Even the other female members here all have screens over their eyes. I guess they really do take their anonymity seriously. As soon as we make it on the dance floor, "Earned It" by the weekend starts playing. Instead of the same slow dance everyone else is doing, my escort leads me into a Viennese waltz, spinning me around the floor causing my dress and the fog to start sweeping across the floor to twirl. Then he drops me into a dramatic dip and pulls me back into him. As this continues, I happen to steal a glance away and notice how everyone else has mostly stopped dancing and is now watching us. I've done the Viennese waltz many times over in my life but I've never had such a strong partner. It drastically intensified the feel of the dance. The song ends with him behind me. When I turn around he is already gone...

I make my way over to the group I know to be my fave five as I would recognize myself anywhere, even with a mask on. I say, "Hey, how long have you all been here? What do you think of this elaborate party? The Champagne fountain, white glove and black mask service to keep people from getting the service and members confused."