An Unexpected Arrival

The world can never truly be silent, noise is a constant for humankind. Buskers on the street play their music hoping that just maybe someone will stop and listen. Newborns wail for the first time. Friends and family alike mourn the deaths of their loved ones. And yet somehow, despite everything, the small town of Mystic Falls was completely silent. So tranquil that you could hear a pin drop on the other side of the earth. It was eerie yet comforting, like the whole universe had taken a vow of silence. And still nobody knew what happened that night. At least not the mortals.

31st October 1981

"Lily, take Victoria!" James pleaded to his devastated wife.

"No, I won't leave you!" She cried.

"You have to he's here; we can't let him get her!" He reasoned.

"I love you!" She exclaimed before grabbing the quiet toddler, seemingly oblivious to the tragedy unfolding.

Stumbling along with child in her arms, she stopped after hearing the scream of her beloved husband. With tears flowing down her cheeks the newly widowed woman proceeded into the nursery with her daughter.

There was a horrendous crash and the door to the room burst open.

"Step aside you silly girl."

"Not Victoria! Please... have mercy... have mercy... not Vicki! Not Vicki! Please, I'll do anything!"

A flash of green and it was over.

********

Just over a year before Grayson and Miranda Gilbert took in Elena as their own daughter, they were surprised to find a baby, wrapped in a blanket on their doorstep with a letter. The letter said that this was Miranda's cousin Lily Potter's (née Evans) daughter. Miranda was aware of the wizarding world and so was her sister Jenna. Unlike her, Jenna didn't know about the separate supernatural world and Miranda wouldn't have known either if not for being married to a founding family member on the council. She knew all about Voldemort and what he was doing in magical Britain so to hear her cousin had been a victim was heartbreaking. 

Apparently the original plan was to drop the little girl at her Aunt Petunia's house but she refused to take her in; claiming that she and her husband didn't want the 'freak' child so instead she was brought here. They brought her inside and Miranda explained everything about the wizards and witches to her husband. After a lot of explaining he grudgingly agreed to take her in. Grayson wasn't all that happy with the decision to take the young witch in and would in time always favour Elena over her; but barring that, she would have a much better life than she would have had at the Dursley's.

So Victoria Violet Potter became Victoria Violet Gilbert.

********

Victoria was ten now and fairly happy. She had a wonderful little brother called Jeremy and a loving mother. Her father wasn't the best, he was blinded by her sister's false innocence and charm but other than that she was happy. 

Elena had never liked Victoria very much, she blamed her for taking the spotlight off of her and envied her intelligence. She would bully and blame her for things that she'd done and being the kind girl Victoria was, she let her. Thanks to this Victoria had pretty much no friends except Matty, Vicky and Tyler who were the only ones not under her 'spell.' No matter how hard Elena tried she could never get her brother or sister's friends to turn against Victoria, they always accepted her and loved her. And though her mother knew Victoria wasn't to blame for any of the things Elena did, she still couldn't see that it was Elena doing them.

Jeremy on the other hand could always see past Elena's act and was one hundred percent on his other sister's side. Victoria was originally very good friends with Bonnie and Caroline, but Elena fed them lies about her and they believed her.