An Tearful Return

Victoria Potter stood in front of her childhood home, thanks to the war she hadn't been home in years. After Fred's death she had thrown herself into the rebuilding of Hogwarts and the rest of the wizarding community. She hadn't cried. Not yet. She just couldn't. Instead she lived in denial, barely hanging on, using drinking, drugs and sex as a coping mechanism so she didn't have to feel. 

The truth was she was heartbroken, even more so when she discovered as the Mistress of Death hers was the only life death couldn't take. She was immortal, stuck at nineteen forever. Sure her magic was stronger than ever before but she was destined to live on while all those she cared for grew old and died.

All her friends were doing their own thing but Victoria had no idea what she wanted to do. She only told a select few about being death's mistress and they accepted her. But at the same time, she felt like she no longer belonged at Hogwarts.

She missed Jeremy so much and after her adopted parent's death last year she wanted to be there for him, so she found herself standing on the porch. She pulled out a compact mirror and took a look at herself. Her face was deathly pale as a result of spending most of her life in Britain and her scar had faded only slightly. She quickly fixed her long dark hair and smudged in the black eyeliner surrounding her bright emerald eyes - once shining with mischief and curiosity, they were terrifyingly empty now.

Donning a pair of ripped black denim shorts, forest green vest top and her scruffy black docs she didn't exactly fit into the cookie cutter neighborhood she stood in.

Taking a deep breath she knocked and waited for someone to answer the door.

"Um hey? who are you?" A man in his mid thirties asked, opening the door. He had dirty blonde hair and a tired expression on his face.

"Um, Victoria Gilbert. Who are you?" It was strange not saying Potter; it felt like she was betraying her parents.

"Alaric Saltzman, so... another Gilbert how come I've never heard abo-" he stopped short looking unconvinced by her British accent when she was ambushed in a tight hug from her brother.

"Tori, you're back!" Jeremy shouted happily.

"Yes Jer, I'm so sorry I haven't been around it's just, well... a lot of things happened. I'll explain later okay?" Victoria rambled nervously.

"It's okay Tori, I know you've had a lot to deal with don't worry." He replied.

"Umm, can someone please explain what is happening right now?" The man known as Alaric asked.

"This is my other sister Victoria Violet Gilbert, she's been at a boarding school in Britain most of her life." Jeremy said happily.

"Ugh Jer! You know I hate my middle name, call me Tori or Ria if you must. So Jeremy, where's Jenna?" She asked.

Jeremy's happy face turned into a frown as he teared up.

"She died Tori." He got out, in between short breaths.

"What?" Tori said her voice breaking.

Death. So much death. Her Mum, Dad, Sirius, Miranda, Grayson, Remus, Tonks, Mad-eye, Fred.

Fred, how she missed him. And now Jenna.

"It'll be okay Jer." She murmured comfortingly, bringing him inside.

"I'm gonna take him to his room, okay." She told Alaric and he nodded. Once they got there she lay down on the bed with him and patted his head reassuringly, noticing him calming down slightly.

He took a deep breath, tears no longer coming.

"There's some stuff I haven't told you, I really need to get it out."