names

You aren't sure whether you heard her wrongly.

"No?" The word bounces around in your head several times, as if mocking you over and over again. You're stunned into disbelief. You've traveled the ocean, battled a furious storm, got chomped through the arm by a crazy siren, all to be told that the sea witch before you does know everything about who you were before, but is unwilling to tell you?

Your captain scowls, fingers tightening on the hilt of his cutlass as he glares at the sea witch in the eye. "You said that you'd answer her questions."

She doesn't flinch in the least, even when he draws the weapon on her. Instead, her eyes merely darken like a stormy sky, and suddenly, the winds around her starts to pick up as if in response to her anger, rising to a whistling howl that whips your hair into your eyes and stings your skin. "Correction. I said that I would answer the questions to the best of my ability. Fortune shines upon you, mortal, that my lady's blessing protects you. Do not test me. It is only by her grace that you can even step foot on this beach."

Hongjoong doesn't back down, cutlass still raised.

"Wait, wait, wait-" You've been completely ignoring their little face off for the last few minutes, trying to fully understand what on earth is happening. You want to rip out your hair and scream, but now's not the time for that. "Why... Why?"

Eldoris' expression remains completely neutral, as if her features have been carved from stone. Her pokerface could give San's a run for its money any day.

"I agreed to answer all the questions you had for me within my power. This one is one I cannot answer."

Your face goes flat as you battle to keep from swearing in front of this supposedly powerful sea witch, you're tempted to smack her in the face and shake her back and forth, screaming in her face. The words tumble out of your words before you can stop them.

"So you know about me before I got into this body," you gesture to yourself frantically, "and you know how I came to be in it, you also know why I lost my memories, but you just don't feel like telling me?"

The last words are spat out with fury and for a moment, you swear you can see the sea witch flinch a little, guilt flitting across her face. But she breathes in deeply and answers your question with an even voice.

"I wish to help you in any way I can, but I cannot tell you the answer to this."

She's as unhelpful at answering your questions as San when it comes to steering the ship and you literally on the verge of throwing a hysterical fit when something finally strikes as odd at the way she has replied to you so far.

"You won't tell me..." You ask hesitantly, studying her face for a change of each expression. "Or you can't tell me?"

At that, her shoulders relax slightly, as if relieved that you've finally gotten it. She nods, neutral expression closest to earnest you've ever seen.

"I cannot."

You feel like you've been smacked across the face with a dead fish.

"Then can you tell me why you cannot?"

Those words seem to lift a weight of her shoulders, even though the light in her eyes remain grim as ever when she nods once more. The next words that leave her mouth have you even more shocked than you were before.

"I am bound by an unbreakable oath to my mistress with my very soul as collateral." She says softly, each word serious as grave. Your eyes widen in stunned disbelief. "To not reveal or impart knowledge of who you were before you came to be in this body to you, or anyone else, no matter how desperately they beg for it, in case you ever regain your memories."