destiny

On your way out of the captain's cabin, you spot a familiar figure pacing the forecastle deck nervously, outlined against the black night by the lit torches on board. The orange glow of the flames flicker and dance over purple locks, and half of his fine features fall into shadow when he turns to look at you.

"Chin Hae." He says, a little breathlessly, stepping up to meet you as you walk towards him. Wooyoung looks just a hint guilty, you think, his eyes shifting left ad right instead of meeting yours. "About earlier, I know you didn't mean to hurt me. No matter what Jongho says, I trust that you wouldn't, that you would never-"

You pull him into a tight embrace before he can say another word.

His body is warm against yours, and your face buries itself in his shoulder, clutching tightly to the material of his shirt in an attempt to ground yourself. A surprised noise leaves Wooyoung's mouth as he takes a few steps back to regain his balance, before his arms are instinctively wrapping around you to comfort, to soothe. "Chin Hae? Oh, no," your tears are soaking into the fabric along his collarbone. "Chin Hae, don't cry, I..."

Behind Wooyoung's back, you unknowingly fist the material of his shirt even more tightly, and he doesn't see how your fingertips leave dark red streaks across his back with your captain's blood. No matter who or what you are, he's overcome it all to find you and love you, asking for nothing in return.

"I'm not crying." You say stubbornly against his skin. You can feel Wooyoung's confused gaze on you, before he tries to pull away to look at your face. "You sure you aren't crying?"

You duck back into his hold before he can look at your face, arms still wrapped around him as tightly as you can. "Don't look."

Wooyoung nods obediently. "Yes, yes." He reaches up to let his fingers run gently through your hair, parting and sifting through the messy strands so tenderly that you almost feel like bursting into tears all over again. Tomorrow, he's going to meet a dangerous man,going to face the entirety of the Royal Navy head on with only Hongjoong and Yeosang by his side. If you lost him... even the thought of it pains you so badly you can't breathe.

"Wanna go sit on the mast with me?"

Wooyoung's question takes you by surprise. It's not an odd question in and of itself, but at this time, in this situation, you're caught a little off guard. Pulling away slightly, you glance up at Wooyoung, confused. "Go up the mast?"

He nods, pointing upward with one hand. "We can sit in the crow's nest. It's been a long time since we've done that together, don't you think? We might not be able to do that after tomorrow..." At the sight of your pained expression, he quickly changes his words. "I mean, for awhile. Not forever, of course."

His words are enough to make you smile. You raise one of your arms. "I'm missing a hand though. It's difficult to climb."

"I'll carry you on my back." Wooyoung replies immediately, and you blink at him for a few moments before you hold out your arms, trying to contain your smile. "I don't trust you."

Wooyoung laughs, squatting in front of you, a bright grin thrown over his shoulder. "Get on already before I decide to drop my offer." He threatens playfully, and you scramble to hop onto his back, wrapping your arms around his neck. "Oof, heavy."

"You're just weak." You tease, burying your face in the crook of his neck. Wooyoung shivers slightly, before he shakes his head, an uncontrollable smile on his lips. "Ahh... now I'm really tempted to drop you into the ocean on the way up. You had better hold on tight."

"Have fun explaining that to captain." You hum, as Wooyoung steps over to (surprise, surprise) the main mast. "Don't tell Yunho I did this, or he'll never let me live this down." Putting his feet to the ropes, he scales the mast slowly but surely, strong hands and arms working to pull the two of you to the very top safely. You close your eyes and lean into his warmth, content.