5 - Expectation of the Worse

~ John H. Watson ~

By the next morning everything had returned to normal... well almost normal. Sherlock and John we're back working on cases, they were talking, they even went out to dinner one night. But a week had past and John couldn't help but notice Sherlock's hostility. He hid it well, almost made it seem like normal Sherlock-like behavior, and to anyone who didn't know him he guessed it would seem as such. But John knew Sherlock, he noticed things, he observed. He noticed how Sherlock would spend more time in his mind palace, how he would ignore John's questions even more frequently. He would play his violin for longer, at even more horrendous times in the night, something he wouldn't have thought remotely possible, until now. And to make matters worse he was eating even less, usually he would eat very little on a case, before he met John he would go whole days without meals, and now he was back to that again, and John didn't know what to do. 

Sherlock's hostility wasn't just towards John. He seemed to be taking his internal frustration out on anyone and everyone he met. Lestrade, Mycroft, Anderson, although those two were less surprising, Molly, some poor uniformed cop, a waitress, and 3 cabbies. No one was safe from the wrath of Sherlock Holmes. 

The only person Sherlock hadn't lashed out at this week was Mary, and that was simply because he hadn't seen her. John had made sure of it, convincing Mary they should go to her flat after dinner instead of his. Even though hers was incredibly small and her couch was so uncomfortable. But today Mary had insisted on coming back to 221B to watch a movie, claiming she 'hadn't seen Sherlock in ages', as if that wasn't exactly what John was trying to avoid. 

Sherlock has already messed up all of John's previous relationships, and he really thought Mary could be the one. They had even got along at the start. But that was going to all be over now, all Sherlock would have to do was open his stupid mouth and she would be gone. For good. 

Let's just say tonight was going to be an interesting night, and John was expecting the worse.