seven

The day after their time in town, Sunday, Amanda felt too tired, too sick, from everything yet nothing at all. And so she decided to stay in her dormitory until everyone returned from church. And, instead of filling that time with reading or studying, as one might expect of someone like her, she slept some more, which is what one might suspect from a lazy person. In this instance, she was perceived as both.

At about ten o'clock, she woke up once more, changed into a blue dress, and strode down the halls, outside the fields, and to the kitchen. She suspected that the dining hall would have been used for church, and her suspicions were confirmed when she heard the sermons of the pastor as she passed by. As silent as she could, she strode past the heavy doors, her shoes clacking lightly along the marble floor.

She made it to the kitchen, where there stood several teachers, custodians, chefs, anyone that was typically undercredited at any school. "Ms. Keating," one of them greeted. "Good morning. Have something to eat."

She smiled in response and grabbed a roll of bread. "None of you attend the service?" she inquired. She assumed that they must all be of different religions, or of none at all.

"Yes, and yet, your father attends right now." This came from a chef, complete in white clothes and a hairnet.

"I'm not very religious. It's alright, isn't it?" Those around her nodded in agreement.

"Yes, quite alright. Just because Nolan and his predecessors are, or were, incredibly strict, that doesn't mean that we can't exist." And then they all laughed together, and suddenly Amanda felt a familiar presence next to her. She turned and was met with warm brown eyes.

"Mr. Tom Maxin," she greeted. "How's your day been?"

"Good, Ms. Keating. I've been studying quite a lot. My geometry's getting better."

"Hmm. That's good."

"Yeah. We have a quiz coming up soon."

Astonished, she cocked her head and said, "Already?"

He shrugged. "Yeah. And, I didn't want to disturb those inside, especially when Dr. Nolan's speaking."

"Yes, he would have yelled at you for sure."

"How'd you spend yesterday? I heard that you, your father, and some other students went into town."

"We watched some movie. It was quite strange with Bela Lugosi."

"How so?"

"Well, he's dead."

"Oh."

"Yep."

"I was not aware. I'm sorry."

She smiled. "I didn't idolize him."

One of the staff members strode up to the both of them, a mug in each hand. "Coffee?"

"Yes, thank you," Amanda replied.

"Thank you, Mr. Evans," said Tom.

They each took the steaming cups of coffee from the custodian's hands, when Amanda realized something. "Are you even allowed to have coffee?"