one

O N E

"wait, what the fuck am i doing here?" taehyung muttered to himself, eyes darting around to observe his surroundings. "i swore i came here to get something—.." he combed his fingers through the knotted tresses of his ash blond hair, pulling gently at the fluffy strands as he furrowed his brows. "well, fuck this." the male took his exit out of the room, whatever item he was trying to achieve long forgotten.

the night was dark outside, the tall boy noted as he slid back into his chair to resume his homework, occasionally glancing over to the drawn curtains hanging from the ceiling down to the floor. through the gap, he decided it was an empty black sky with the only exception being the pale light of the crescent moon. "shit." he slammed his pen on the table, groaning.

a stash of pencils shoved off to the side were left untouched as he once again pushed up out of his chair, storming back into the storage room due to his current predicament. "i need a calculator," he muttered to himself, grabbing onto the cold metal knob and twisting it, pushing open the door. snatching the thin device lying facedown on his bedside table, tae pulled open its cover, pressing the on button.

he tilted his head and shifted uncomfortably before the open door leading outside to his impending doom of work, messing with the metal buttons on the pockets of his black skinny jeans. taehyung turned his gaze back onto the digital clock flashing in bright green numbers against a black surface, displaying pixilated numbers on the screen. 2:23 am.

his eyelids drooped and he stole one look back to the dimly lit hallway, then back to his attire he hadn't changed from since he woke up this morning. numbness traveled up his spine accompanied by the gentle lure of sleep and he shook his head, placing the gadget back on his oddly made bed. after all, he hadn't slept in days.

he walked towards the cabinets under his tv, lazily pulling at each one of the handles and rummaging through it until he finally settled with a pair of black sweatpants and a striped grey and white t-shirt. with a brief undressing and his half asleep attempt to put on his nightwear, he pulled together the smooth yet tattered grey drapes across the window, his eyes lingering on the faint outline of a distant helicopter sinking into the void.

a soft yawn fell past his lips and he glanced behind glass once more at the glimmering city just beyond his reach, pulling off his thin rimmed glasses and folding them. he set them on the table and listened to the soft clack, stepping over a couple of miscellaneous items scattered on the floor to shut off the lights outside and close the door, locking it before returning back to the edge of his bed.

the noise of the shifting of covers fell muted in his ears and he rested his head on the pillow, staring back out into the now shielded view. the sound of the a.c. worked up again and with it came a blast of chilly cold air that taehyung tried to ignore, ripping his gaze from the hidden night sky and turning on his side.

his fingers reached under his pillow and he gently pulled out a sealed photo withered with time, a silver ring sitting idly in the plastic with the company of the polaroid. tae bit his lip, reaching into the thin sleeve and grasping onto the slim, cool surface of the band beneath his fingers. with a shaky breath, he slid it into his left middle finger, staring at the familiar possession of his that slotted easily into the space it had carved out for itself.

with a swift motion, he had already pushed the clear casing back under the fluffy cushion and moved his hands into a more comfortable position, one arm resting across the other and elbows bent so his palms were against the soft, worn material of the pillowcase. for the first time in days, his eyes fluttered closed and he slept with the weight of a metal rose pressed against his finger.