Chapter 3

Date: 18th of August 2011

Time: 2 a.m. New York Time Zone

Location: Sallys' room, Manhattan, New York

Poseidon's pov

As soon as I finished the talk with my son I travelled to my past lover.

Entering a mind, especially during dreaming, was always a strange experience. It was like facing a wall made out of fog. The fog, however, would be so dense that nothing could be seen behind it.

The hardest part was to break through it, to join a dream.

The easiest way to describe what I did would be to tell you that I forced the mist to disappear, to make a tunnel or a door in the midst of it. Something to walk through. Taking a deep, calming breath I focused on my powers, telling the water molecules to separate from each other, to make way into a mortal mind.

At least, that is what I saw. Every mind is different, every god has their individual abilities. While I saw a mist, others might have seen pure darkness, or a large valley without a bridge to cross.

Coming out of the tunnel I came upon a beach. A small cabin stood off to the side, having a clear and breath-taking view of the sea.

Two shapes were walking along the shore. They were holding hands and giving each other kisses every now and then.

She was dreaming of a date with that Blowfish guy on Montauk. I shuddered mentally at the thought of my sweet Sally doing not so children friendly things with him. Her well rounded belly was proof enough of activities I did not want to witness.

To avoid seeing more than I already did, I cleared my throat and the man dissolved, giving me Sally's full attention.

She seemed angry to be brought out of that at first, but it soon morphed into shock when she saw me.

"Poseidon, what brings you here?" She asked warily. I could feel that there was an awkward atmosphere between us, but I tried to ignore it. She had to be worried considering that I hadn't visited her in a long time whilst not coming for, or with, Percy.

After all, it was very rare for divine beings to visit their former mortal lovers. Especially when a child was the outcome of such a union.

"Sally, we need to talk. Come, sit with me and I will explain."

She hesitantly lowered herself to the place on the ground right beside me, shooting me worried but curious glances. I saw that as a sign to start talking.

"When Percy was born I warned you how dangerous it could be. I told you about the monsters, the gods... the prophecies. Back then I also mentioned the powers a demigod child of mine could possess."

She nodded slowly, though I saw a slight glint of fear appear in her eyes. I shifted a bit, trying to get comfortable. Not daring to look her in the face I shifted my gaze to the ocean.

"You surely remember that I told you about a gene all those years ago that was responsible for these divine abilities. I warned you that this could affect Percy. Now this is coming true. There is more of that gene in him than I originally thought. Sally, I need to take him to Atlantis as soon as possible."

She seemed to let that sink in and nodded, already awaiting something like that.

"I already waited for the day on which you would take Percy with you. It is like you said. What belongs to the sea must always return to it. But please tell me, when are you going to bring him?" She asked, clearly sad to lose her firstborn child. It hurt me to hurt her, but this was what would be best for Percy.

I did have many children over the past few eons. Each and every son and daughter had a special place inside my heart. Losing a child, no matter if mortal or immortal was always the worst thing a parent could experience.

"Today, long before he wakes. It is absolutely necessary. But do not worry, he will be treated well. Sally, he is, even if he doesn't like to hear and admit it, a rightful prince of the ocean. No one would be stupid enough to hurt him. And we both know that even if it is painful for you, it is also better for your new family."

As I finished speaking she looked down at her well rounded belly. She knew what I was talking about.

Percy's strong scent would cause lots of trouble in the future. If he were to stay he would only bring danger to his mother. Not willingly of course. But because of his strong scent and powers he would endanger them simply by being near them, attracting monsters and old enemies, especially now that he was an adult.

"So be it then. It pains me deeply to let him go, Poseidon. But you are right. It is the best thing for all of us. I never thought that I would build a new family, but now I can somewhat understand Helen Chase, the stepmother of Annabeth. Of course it is definitively NOT the right thing to hurt a child, to chase it away, but... neither would it be right to endanger a unborn child ... "

She took a deep breath and sighed deeply. She hugged her knees tightly, her eyes turning sad.

"It would be too dangerous if he were to stay near my mortal daughter."

I could see that she was on the verge of crying. This was all definitively too much for her. But it could not be helped. There was, as of now, no other solution.

I slowly shifted a bit closer to her and gave her a comforting, friendly hug.

Knowing Sally, she would raise her daughter with the knowledge of the Mythological World, explaining what a great hero her brother was.

We then nodded at each other and I left her dream.

She would be happy for Percy.

And I swore to myself that I would watch over her.

I owed it to both, my son and my former lover.