⨺ Shield ⨺

The day before I felt asleep with the idea of being able to go to Mars Island roaming in my head. Thousands of images and scenarios came to my mind keeping me from falling asleep at a reasonable time. That is the main reason why you're so fucking late this morning, I kept repeating myself, trying to have a quick shower before storming out of my family house to rush to work.

With the biggest cookie ever, half chewed in my mouth I found myself entering the little but expensive store where I worked.

«Did you really think I wouldn't notice that you're late... again!»

Shelley's voice greeted me a wonderful morning. There was no sound in the world more annoying than that woman's voice. She was always so angry and frustrated that I've always wondered if there was someting in this life that could make her feel at least remotely happy.

«Good Morning.» I replied, marking the words, while taking off my headphones. « I apologize, I had a family problem this morning. This won't happen again.» I flashed her a genuine and embarassed smile,trying to look like I really cared about her concern.

I was faking, obviously, I couldn't care less about what she was saying. For the entire year I worked for her she always treated me lesser than a hand full of dust even when I was doing my job impeccably. I could read in her eyes what she thought about me and I didn't care, she couldn't fire me unless I didn't do my job as I was supposed to, and that was the reason why I was there that morning. To do my job, nothing more,nothing less.

«You keep telling me that, but you're always late!»

Bullshit, I thought shocked. It took me a lot of self control to look down for a second and reply to her with the most kind tone of voice.

«I'll do my best to not being late anymore. I'm going to  take care of my job now.»

I didn't even waited for an answer, I left her there and went downstairs. I didn't even know why I was still working in that place, maybe just because it was close to my house and was less demanding than every other job. Almost all the employees that worked there were toxic and mean people, ready to judge every single human being they've met. Being there every single day was a lot to handle for me, not because of the work I needed to do, but because I was forced to interact with people like those.

I changed my clothes and prepared the stuff to clean the store and just a second later, a kind and clear voice greeted me from behind.

«Siria! How are you? Did she bothered you already?» Paul smiled at me with concern and a little bit of amusement in his voice.

He was the only soul working in that store that treated me as a human being. That was the price you had to pay if you accepted to be the cleaning lady in a luxury store.

«Ehi, sweetheart! She's the same as always, but nothing she's gonna say today can bother me... I'm going there! I'm gonna meet the guys! I'm gonna go to Mars Island!» I said joyfully.

His face reflected the smile I did flashed him. He wasn't a fan, he didn't know a damn about Thirty Seconds to Mars, except for those little things that I told him during that year, but he knew well how I did care about them and everything related to them. The joy was kicked away by confusion two seconds later.

«Wait, how did you managed to buy the tickets, and the flights? Wasn't that thing damn expensive?» He asked, making me blush. I nodded raising my shoulders a bit.

«Do you remember my friends from all around the state? They paid for the ticket and for the trip... I don't know how I'm gonna repay them, but right now I'm so damn hyped up... nothing she's gonna say can manage to get to my core. Nothing!»

We exchanged a meaningful gaze and mimicked a weird and funny dance before going back to our daily job. If it wasn't for him I would have probably burned the store already.