3

Blayre

Magic prickled all around Blayre as they stepped onto a cobbled street, the stones a deep charcoal gray flecked with gold. Azure trilled from where she now perched on Caval's shoulder.

The street was busy with foot traffic in this district where the townhouses were three stories tall and painted in deep jewel tones. Friendly chatter sprung from open windows and lively alleyways. The people who passed them tread quickly on sandaled feet.

Coneesa stopped them abruptly at the emerald door of a ruby painted house that reminded Blayre distinctly of the mid-winter festival in Emares.

"This is it," she said. She held her hand over the brass dragon door knocker and Blayre felt the prickle of magic as a lock came undone and the door swung open.

Blayre and Fletcher exchanged glances, brows raised. Blayre was beginning to wonder just how coincidental Coneesa's meeting them had been.

"Should we?" Blayre's voice trailed off as Caval entered into the foyer of the house without a bit of hesitation. She realized that she had been holding on to Fletcher's shirtsleeve without realizing it. She let go, swallowed and mustered the courage to walk inside, where she promptly sneezed since the house was practically teaming with magic.

"One of these days, that sneezing is going to get you killed." Fletcher whispered. Blayre replied with a jab to her friend's ribs.

"If you would wait here, I will get my brother." Coneesa said with a smirk and disappeared up a wide wooden staircase complete with a wine-red runner.

Blayre stared after her. "Is her brother..."

"My acquaintance." Caval confirmed for her, with a laugh.

"Ah...okay." Blayre said hesitantly. She trailed a hand along a mahogany sofa table, her boots treading softly on the dark wood floor. The foyer was decorated simply but tastefully with simple rugs, lamps, and the bronze statue of a dragon, which Azure inspected from her perch on Caval's shoulder.

If Caval's contact had known exactly when they would arrive, then all the better. She only hoped it meant that a hot bath, and clean clothes were in her future.

The tread of light footsteps sounded on the staircase and Coneesa descended, returning to them with news that her brother would see them if they would follow her.

Sebastian Belizaire shared many physical traits with his sister. Tanned skin, hair as shiny as a raven's wing, and piercing black eyes above a strongly arched nose. He was, however, far less cryptic than Coneesa and welcomed them warmly to his home.

"Caval, dear friend. It has been years." Sebastian said, clasping Caval's hand with what looked like a firm grip. Blayre habitually checked the foreign mage's wrist for a mage-mark, temporarily forgetting that in Solpor, mages were not marked. Mages in the free state of Solpor chose to study magic. They were not assigned a job, or a position. Everything here was based on choice – choices afforded to them by the skill and power that they possessed.

The study that Sebastian received them in was not overly large, but cozy enough that it reminded Blayre of her father's study back in Blumore The walls were lined with bookshelves, and diagrams of different creatures. Piles of paper littered Sebastian's desk. The floor was decorated with throw rugs. Blayre's Sense was overwhelmed to the point of near-uselessness here in Solpor, and especially in the townhouse of this mage. It was noticeably cooler here in this room, and she realized that some sort of magically powered propeller was propped in the window, projecting cool air into the room.

Interesting.

Mages in Emares tended not to waste energy on such luxuries. Though, that was mostly because The Crown frowned upon frivolous use of magic. Magic was something to be reserved for necessary occasions. For growing crops during the warm season, creating light in the darkness, and warming the hearth during the cold months.

For warfare.

She supposed that cooling in the hot climate was perhaps nearly as important as warmth in a cooler climate. Though it was far easier to die of frostbite.

And she supposed, that when you lived in a world-renowned place for academics, it likely attracted powerful magic users like butterflies to a pungent flower. Powerful mages were probably highly concentrated here. Powerful and extremely well-trained. Which is why she could only feel the power on the objects that were magicked to be that way.

"Sebastian, these are my companions – Blayre, and Fletcher." Caval said, standing aside to introduce them.

"Well met, Blayre." Sebastian said, grasping Blayre's hand with a grip that told her that he had almost enough magical power to rival Caval's or Ripley D'Airghead's.

Almost. But not quite.

The smile that Sebastian flashed at her was disarming – or it would have been if she didn't already have eyes for another mage. Even if she was trying to shove those feelings for Caval as far down as she possibly could.

"And you as well," Blayre returned, and Sebastian turned to greet Fletcher who truly did look disarmed by the mage's smile. She hid a grin.

"You will stay here, yes? We will have guest rooms prepared."

"I wouldn't want to impose." Caval said, "But if you could spare a room – at least until we can get to the University. We will compensate you of course."

Sebastian waved his hand dismissively, "Caval, dear friend. It is just my sister and me in this spacious house. It is your home here in Solpor for as long as you need it. Coneesa, will you tell Adrianne to prepare the guestrooms?"

"Already done, brother." Coneesa said, leaning casually against a wall.

Azure let out a sudden very piercing trill, and Caval visibly cringed at the noise that sounded so loudly in his ear.

"I apologize," he winced. "I confess none of us have eaten much all day. My bird, Azure gets quite irritable when she's hungry."

Coneesa spoke, "You mean your dragon?"