Prologue

Updates on Monday's and Friday's.

DISCLAIMER: This is in no way condoning Starker or underage relationships. This is a totally Alternative Universe where all the avengers are in high school, including Peter. If you have a problem with that, simply do not read. (I'm a sensitive child so pls don't be mean about this) thanks

*

"Ben would be so proud of you," May says, coughing hoarsely before offering a tired smile.

Peter smiles back, trying his best to hold back his tears. "I know he would be, May. You just rest up, okay?"

"I will. Have a good day at school, sweetie," May says, squeezing his hand in hers.

He nods, kissing her forehead gently. May's sick. Really sick. The doctor's say there's still hope that she gets better, but it's slim. It's more likely that she'll spend the rest of her days in the hospital.

Peter's been struggling financially, only having his salary of ten dollars an hour working at a fast food restaurant after school. The government helps pay for basic living, but it's still not looking great, not with May's medical bills. But he got a full scholarship to Midtown Tech this year and today is his first day.

"I'll be back at eight, okay?" he says, blinking back his tears. He lives in a tiny one-bedroom apartment just outside of downtown Queens by himself because May's fulltime in the hospital. It's lonely and the pressure is crushing just to keep his head above water with all the debts and bills piling up on his desk.

"Don't you worry about me while you're at school. Have fun, sweetie. You deserve it," she whispers, squeezing his hand again. The wrinkles at the corners of her eyes deepen when she offers another small smile.

"I will. I'll be back before you know it," he says, finally letting go of her hand and standing from his bedside chair. "I love you."

"I love you too, honey. Go have fun."

He nods once more, picking up his old bag and heading for the door. He smiles at her once more in the doorway before he finally leaves the hospital room.

He says goodbye to all of the frequent nurses he sees, making sure to wave to some of the other patients on the floor, and soon enough, he's on the city bus heading towards Midtown.

*

Peter can't stop thinking about May the whole time he's on the bus and even when he walks into the school. It's been a while since he's allowed himself this much time away from her. He used to take all online classes and do them in her hospital room. The only time he'd leave would be for working and then the night. (He used to spend nights in the hospital room before the nurses started to worry too much and told him to go home or else he'd ruin his back.)

But now he'll be spending all day at school, afternoons at work, evenings with May and nights at home.

"-here?" someone is saying.

He snaps out of it to see a teenage boy standing in front of him. He looks to be the same age as Peter, but dresses rich. He's got messy dark brown hair, cold brown eyes, but a bright smile.

"What?" Peter says, immediately wincing at how stupid he sounds.

"Are you new here?" the boy repeats, not at all bothered by repeating himself.

Peter nods and sticks out his hand. "I'm Peter Parker."

The boy's smile gets wider and he shakes Peter's hand excitedly. "I'm Tony. Tony Stark! It's nice to meet you. I'll show you to the office so you can get your schedule."