tortured heart | aragorn | 1/2

REVISED on August 4th, 2022.

a/n: This short series is based on a request sent in by blissful-swift on Tumblr. 

warnings: Mentions of torture, descriptions of wounds, a little blood/gore, sad lil' Aragorn :(

summaryafter the parting of Frodo and Sam, you are captured by the band of Uruk-hai that are tracking down the Fellowship. when you are maimed and left for dead, Aragorn tries to heal you through the burden of his aching heart. But will it be enough to save you?

But will that be enough to save you?

word count: 2.2 K

music: Searching For Peeta or Katniss Afoot by James Newton Howard

The thundering footfalls of the Uruk-kai settled into the distance as Aragorn glanced around him throughout the forest. Within mere minutes, they had lost three members of their Fellowship, while two more fled farther east to complete the quest. Boromir, son of Denethor, had been slain and now drifted homeward on the river Anduin. Merry and Pippin had been captured by the Uruk-kai, uprooted where they had stood, and carried farther from the banks of the river and into the vast landscape of the south.

But there was one more member that had not been accounted for.

Aragorn sharpened his gaze and studied the tracks on the ground, but found no trace of your footsteps amongst the earth that had been trampled under the boots of the Uruks.

"Gimli! Have you seen (Y/n)?" Aragorn called out as he caught glimpse of the red-haired warrior. Discomfort twisted itself in his gut; you weren't one to wander off alone.

"No, tha' lass disappeared just before Boromir did. Before the ambush," Gimli's gravelly voice replied, his own concern putting weight upon his tone. His expression turned stern as he mulled over what predicament could have prevented your return. "You don't think she-"

"I caught sight of her chasing after the hobbits after they were captured!"

Aragorn turned to the river at the sudden sound of Legolas' voice. The fair-haired archer made large strides up the bank, his voice slightly strained from the exertion. When he stood level to Aragorn, he dipped his head in the direction that the hobbits had been taken. Aragorn followed his gesture and faced the southern path through the forest.

"So she's ahead of us," Aragorn added, but the queer feeling in his gut swelled. As he watched the flickering light of the sun scatter itself about the forest floor, an image formulated in his mind. A terrible, haunting image of you, dead upon the muddied terrain, your blood mixed with the earth. He cleared his throat and followed the path that the Uruk-kai had formed into the ground.

"What's our plan, then? Search for tha' lass?" Gimli huffed as he jogged up to Aragorn, who was studying the ground as he walked. Upon Aragorn's silence, he looked to Legolas.

"What do you think? He'll not so easily leave her behind. She's a member of our Fellowship and his friend." Legolas said, an incredulous look on his features.

"Well, I'd like tah' know where I'm goin', if ye' don't mind!" Gimli scowled, looking ahead at the trodden earth that had been washed into mud under the heavily armored boots of the Uruks.

"We find (Y/n) and then we track the party of Uruk-kai. We'll not abandon Merry and Pippin, either." Aragorn answered, carefully watching the ground beneath him as he went on ahead. It wasn't long before he knelt to the ground and picked something up that had been buried under the mud. When Legolas caught up to him, a gasp escaped his thin lips.