preferences | 2/?

| their first 'i love you'

aragorn | word count: 647

Aragorn was always quiet about his feelings and often times reserved, being an introverted person. Those three words came when he could no longer withstand the pressure of not telling you how he truly felt. The risk of your eyes wandering to find another had crossed his mind more than once and the possibility of something happening before he had had the chance to overcome his nerves was overwhelming. And one day, as he was in the midst of this inner turmoil, you slit your hand open while sharpening the blade of your sword against a whirling grindstone.

He had been nearby, working with the string of his bow, when your cry of pain pierced the air. The sword rattled to the ground as you stood and pressed your hand against the palm of the other in your best effort to quench the rush of blood. Without a second's hesitation, he came to your aid and whisked you into the smithy shop where there was a store of medical supplies for such an incident.

In his panic, he chastised you.

"Why aren't you wearing the guard I gave you? I explicitly told you not to use the grindstone without it!"

Tears burned in your eyes as he poured a stout smelling liquid over the wound. "I took it off because it was chafing my wrist when I pushed against the blade," you said.

"It would have prevented this, (Y/n). Look at what you've done to yourself!"

"Aragorn, I'm sorry! I didn't mean for it to happen!"

"You must obey my instruction when I give it to you. I do not speak just to hear my own voice."

There was a tense pause in your urgent conversation as he rinsed your hand in a basin of cool water and examined the wound up close with gentleness. His relief was audible as he realized the cut was much smaller than the loss of blood had let on. With a slower pace, he began bandaging your hand with linens.

His voice softer, he spoke again. "I tell you these things to protect you, (Y/n), not to patronize you."

"I know," you sniffled.

He could see that his chastisement had startled you as much as the wound itself. He hadn't meant to make you uncomfortable, but he needed you to know how serious this could have been, how badly you could have injured yourself.

"I apologize for my harshness," - he caught your gaze with his own as he continued - "But I need you to take care of yourself. Especially when I offer you the means to do so."

He knotted the linen and tugged at the cloth with his teeth before snipping it short with a pair of shears lying nearby. The heat of his breath against your fingers sent a wave of chills across your skin. When he glanced up at you, he saw a twinge of embarrassment in your expression.

"I always end up doing something reckless or clumsy, no matter how much I try to better myself," you muttered. Avoiding his gaze, you stared at your wrapped hand as he released it from his grasp.

The next words that left your mouth caught him off guard.

"Why do you bother with me, Aragorn?"

He swallowed.

His eyes drifted downward to your bandaged hand. Carefully, he took it in both of his and cradled it between his palms. Your breath caught in your throat, searching his face for any hint of insincerity. Of course, there was none. When his eyes flickered up to meet yours, there was something glimmering in his eyes. Something quiet and untamed. Tender.