Chapter 1: Our First Encounter

LYDIA

I gasp at the dress laying across my unnecessarily large bed. I shake my head in defiance, "I suddenly cannot choose what I want to wear anymore? Of all things, can I just have this one privilege?"

It is really beautiful if I honestly admit, it looks new because I do not recall having any dresses like it. It is no surprise because I receive new dresses more than the daily breaths I take. I still wonder why my mother thinks I need so many. Despite its beauty, I would feel better if I chose it myself.

"Lydia dear, best get ready for breakfast. We have guests." Says my mother as she slightly opens the door and then closes it.

Explains a lot, who shall I meet today? I am used to being overly dressed in the most expensive things like how a palace cook dresses chicken with the finest of ingredients. That is not the only aspect I relate to, sometimes I feel just like livestock, caged and only allowed out when I am of use.

A sad thing to be aware of but the truth is it.

Royal blue fabric with blue roses all around the sleeves and waist, sapphires at the center of each rose, and small diamond-like glitter on the tip of its fabric-made petals. The pattern of the skirt resembles the surface of flowing ocean water and the flounce is a darker shade of blue, not far from the color black.

I quickly bathed in a bath of warm water with lavender petals, my favorite. After which I sit at my mirror as a palace maid braids my hair in a side-swept position. She offers to apply some vanishing powder but I kindly refuse because I like to leave my face bare so I can feel the warm wind of the evening tingling at my skin. It has become a highly sought after asset for the ladies but after trying it once I think of it as a barrier between me and my odd pleasures. Although, I was rather impressed with how a simple dab hid my slightly red under eyes from not getting enough sleep.

I promptly fit myself into the gorgeous dress with her help and feel satisfied it doesn't feel too uncomfortable on my body. I fix my lazy posture and walk gracefully to the dining hall.

"PRINCESS LYDIA VONCELSTINE OF SAINT LYDIANNIA!" One of the guards announces.

I slightly lift the front of my dress and pick up my pace. I curtsy before sitting left to my father, the King. I do not look directly at anyone at the table but I know my father is displeased as I am late.

"My deepest apologies for being late, welcome honored guests," I say with a pleasant smile.

The King nods in approval. After my apology and greeting, no one seems to speak so I take the advantage of the silence to notice each face at the large marble dining table. I see two females, one with pale wrinkly skin, blondish-grey hair, and a soft smile. She is wearing a dark green dress and rubies as jewelry. The other with smooth porcelain skin, great bone structure, black hair, and cherry-colored lips. She is wearing a purple dress with a lot of jewelry adorning her body. Two men, one who looks as old and well built as my father and the other-

My eyes fixate when I see the last face at the table.

"Quite odd." I think to myself.

Black and shiny hair, medium built upper body and dressed in red and gold. He even outdresses the other three. Firm jawline, full lips with moderate facial hair, and dark eyes that seem pitch black but as shiny as his hair. He is too expensively dressed to be a soldier so he must be a nobleman's son. That theory makes more sense because soldiers are more conducted in the presence of the king, he seems less tense and even looks quite comfortable.

I was too busy taking in his features to realize he was also looking at me. When I finally stop my curious eyes I meet his and quickly tilt my head to the food in front of me. The King seems to have seen our little awkward display and narrows his eyes at me.