An Interesting Start

Clara opened her eyes and the bright light of day flooded into them along with confusion. As her eyes refocused she saw a half awake Doctor standing in the corner and then she remembered where she was, on Skaro. When the doctor had realized she was awake he immediately perked up. "So how was your sleep Clara?"

"It was alright given that I was sleeping on bare stone and that we're on the home planet of your worst enemies." She said as sacastically as she could, given that she was still a little bit drowsy from sleep. Clara rubbed her eyes and when her vision was cleared, she stared up at the Doctor with a big grin on her face until she noticed the rather large, dark circles under the Doctor's eyes. "Doctor, you look tired, did you sleep at all last night?"

"Umm, no, I mean yes, I mean, I'm fine Clara." But he really wasn't. He was so tired that he could drop dead right then and there from exhaustion. It really didn't matter to him at the moment though because he couldn't spare the thought of having to wake Clara up and disrupting her slumber. She looked so at peace when she slept, which made the Doctor perfectly content with just watching her sleep. After all she needed the rest almost more than he did. She had been at work all day yesterday, when the Doctor was doing the thing he did best, wasting time.

"So Doctor, if you didn't sleep, then what were you doing?" Clara asked quisically and almost instantly the Doctor's face flushed red.

"Umm, just watching you, uh, I mean just watching out for any possible threats..."

Clara let out a little giggle of amussement as she watched the Doctor attempt to form a fully functional sentence. Clara always found it so hilarious when he got flustered. His face would always go the deepest of red and his arms would flayl in the most akward of ways.

"Okay, then. while we're stuck on this planet would should try to make the best of it." Clara said trying to keep herself from giggling any more at the still flustered doctor.

"Ah, yes that, well this planet does have a brillant sun rise, dispite its reputation. We could go see that, I mean if you want." The Doctor responded still feeling a bit akward. The Doctor hadn't really thought about how that sentence sounded to Clara until he actually said it. Oh my god, she's going to think you're flirting with her! He thought, frustrated with himself. He had never actually intended on flirting with Clara, but the majority of the things that came out of his mouth always seemed that way.

"Sure, why not." she said "no kisses though" she added with a giggle, with the full intention of making the doctor blush, but to Clara's surprise he didn't.

He just simply turned her way and answered "I can definitely promise you that".

As he said that the Doctor felt a pang of sadness in his hearts, some part of him wished she hadn't said that. Some part of him wanted to feel the soft touch of her lips on his, but he knew this would never happen. As much as he wanted it to be possible, it would never work. Even if he did get what he wanted, he knew it would end tragically. Clara would age and die and he would just simply change. With all the loss and heart ache he had already endured he couldn't bear the thought of this happening to Clara. He would have to think about her well being before his happiness.

He then reached out his hand for Clara and they were off to see the "supposedly" great sun rise. It wasn't as far as the doctor made it out to be, it was only passed the cave they were staying in. Still Clara thought it was the most beautiful sunrise she had ever seen, with the milky purple and pink clouds surrounding the biggest sun she had ever seen.

"It really is quite a sight." Clara said with overwhelming astonishment in her voice.

"Yeah, I guess it is." the Doctor said under his breath, not bothering to look at the sunset.

A/N
Sorry it's been so long, I really have no good excuses, and I realize this chapter is awfully short. I will hopefully have more time later to work on this story.