Chapter 2

Softpaw shook as Blackfeather started pushing her out of camp, little paws pulling back in protest. In the midst of the trees, he whirled round to look at her.

"Is there a problem?" he grumbled. Softpaw struggled to meet his gaze as she mouthed silently "moth-er moth-er."

The older cat huffed. "No. You can see her later. We start right now. Do you know why Mouseflame got her name?" he asked. Softpaw, still trembling slightly, shook her blue head from side to side. "Flame. Strength, power and courage. We spent 6 hard moons training, and you're going to do the same. I suppose your muteness will help you with hunting, but not fighting." he smirked to himself and chuckled. "Don't worry, I'm sure I can scare a growl out of you."

Softpaw looked up at him in horror. She hadn't remembered any cat being this frightening, why couldn't she have gotten another mentor instead? If only there was a medicine cat placement...

Blackfeather snapped her out of her daze by cuffing her around the ear. "I'm just messing with you. I'm not going to hurt you... I'm a loyal warrior thank you very much.Well... fighting gives out a couple of scars but we'll stick with hunting today. I'll be honest, this isn't exactly what I wanted but I'm going to make you just like Mouseflame to keep up my reputation."

Just like Mouseflame? She gulped at the thought of the strong she-cat she had seen at the ceremony.

He strutted off into the forest ahead of her, long tail beckoning the still apprehensive she-cat to follow him. Softpaw stared at her territory for the first time, momentarily forgetting the intimidating warrior, eyes filled with awe. Surrounding them were huge, tall, luscious green trees, branches reaching out to each other. The path seemed to stretch on for miles, leaves of many different colours scattered among it. The little apprentice attempted to paw one of them, but her mentor turned to face the she-cat again.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, don't you want the prey to stick around?" he asked, somewhat mockingly. Softpaw looked down at the floor awkwardly, and they continued to pad through the large territory until they reached a clearing with long blades of grass tickling the young she-cat's paws.

Blackfeather stood still, scanning the area, feeling the wind against his fur.

"You need to block everything else out. Hunting is all about concentration, and staying hidden." He lifted his nose to the air, sensing something being carried by a breeze in front of him.

"You smell that?" the black cat asked, as if looking for an answer. He stared down at Softpaw expectantly, and she shook her head. "It's a mouse, remember that. Now, watch and learn."

Suddenly, he spotted the small white shape in the grass as he walked forward slightly, following the scent. He lowered himself onto his belly, his black pelt somehow managing to conceal itself quite well considering the bright green environment. Blackfeather hesitated for a few moments, eyes scanning the small prey carefully, before leaping forward, swiping a claw against it's fragile neck.

Softpaw whimpered without noise, watching it's eyes glaze over and it's body fall slack. Her mentor turned to look at her, seemingly irritated by the lack of awe in her face before his eyes softened slightly in realisation.

"Definitely not Mouseflame..." he muttered, before walking closer to her with the mouse. "Look, we give thanks to StarClan for it's life, and helping to feed our Clan. To be a warrior, this is something you need to do. Otherwise, there isn't much point you being in our Clan at all, you aren't an elder so you can't just sit around in a den all day. You cannot let being timid get the better of you and stop you becoming a warrior of ThunderClan," he hissed.

Softpaw managed to drag her eyes off the dead rodent in his mouth, and attempted to straighten up. If she wanted to be like her brothers, she was going to have to be better than this.

But how can you stop being who you are?