Chapter One

Daichi hasn't seen the man behind the counter not smiling. He must have "service with a smile" the only thing running through his head when he gets up in the morning.

And Daichi both loved and hated it. He loved it because seeing that smile made his heart beat faster and cheered him up, even on the worst of days. He hated it because he could barely talk when he's looking at that shining face.

"Good morning!" His name tag said Sugawara, and but Daichi knew that by now. He's been a regular customer for months now. "It's nice to see you again!"

Daichi felt his face heat up. Surely he says this to all of his customers to get them to come back, right?

"Um, you too." Daichi mentally slapped himself. He sounded too awkward...

Daichi opened his mouth to tell him his order, but there was already a steamy cup on the counter in front of him. Daichi looked up, blinking at Sugawara.

"You get the same thing everyday. I made it ahead of time." Sugawara's face fell a little. "Unless you wanted something different today." He reached for the cup.

"No no! It's fine! I was getting the same as usual." Daichi reached out and their fingers brushed as they grabbed the coffee at the same time.

Daichi felt his entire face heat up, and was surprised to see Sugawara blushing as well.

"I'll see you tomorrow, then." Sugawara smiled.

"It's a date."

As he walked out of the small café, Daichi scolded himself. It's a date? What possessed him to say it like that? Not that he wouldn't mind a date with Sugawara...

Daichi shook his head. He had to get to work. It wouldn't be good if he was late. Again.

~~~~

Sugawara's smile was always bigger after Daichi left. He was always ready to get to work when he remembered that Daichi was going to come in. One of these days he'll work up the courage to write his number on the cup...

But for now, he'll just have to settle with seeing him in the morning. It's not nearly enough time, but it's better than nothing.

"Next time, I'll ask him." Sugawara told himself. Next time.