Six

10 days since she'd seen her husband. 7 since she'd heard from him. 5 since she came home from the grocery store and his stuff was gone. 3 since Moose told her he was safe and staying with him. 20 hours since Jonah called her last and convinced her to take a pregnancy test.

She couldn't be pregnant. They were careful. Nathaniel was only 6 months old. There was absolutely no way, she had convinced herself.

It really sucked that she couldn't convince the second pink line to disappear.

Amelia sat staring at the stupid fucking stick for nearly an hour. The paralyzing sadness from being unceremoniously dumped by her husband had subsided briefly, but was now back with a vengeance. She was going to go through a pregnancy alone. She was going to love this baby when their father couldn't even love her anymore. Her babies were going to be only 15 months apart. She couldn't do it alone.

But she couldn't get an abortion. It wasn't an option. She was still desperately in love with the baby's dad. The baby was conceived in a time of so much love. She couldn't get rid of that. This baby and Nathaniel were the only proof she had that Christian had once loved her.

That decided it. She was going to be a mom of two and she was going to be the best single mother of two that she could be.

Amelia wiped her eyes, stood up, and looked in the mirror and lifted up her shirt, spying the most minute pudge. Her heart filled with warmth and she smiled genuinely for the first time since date night.

"Hi lil babe. I know you can't hear me, but I'm your mama. I can't wait to meet you. I love you so very much already and your big brother will too. I'm sure of it," she said softly and splashed her face with cool water before going back out to the living room. Nathaniel was still down for his first nap, so she started setting up appointments and other things for the baby.

She thought about telling Christian, remembering how perfect everything was when she found out about Nathaniel and her husbands wonderful reaction to the news.

***

May 19th, 2019

Amelia took a deep breath, looking at the row of 6 pregnancy tests all proclaiming either a plus sign or two lines. Then she looked at the one in her hands. Pregnant. It was written clear as day, no second guessing of whether or not it was actually a second line.

Christian was in Atlanta and it was the final game of the series, and now Amelia had huge news.

They were having a baby. Holy shit. They were having a BABY.

Tears trekked down Amelia's cheeks and she got up, a plan in her mind for how she was going to tell him.

She got the materials together, making a special stop to Miller Park after work and being mauled with hugs by the wonderful women who were instructed to tell no one. Under any circumstances.

Christian was going to be so excited. He'd been begging for a baby since before they even got married.

She got all of the things ready and started on dinner, making Christian's favorite "fancy dinner" of lemon pepper salmon and roasted vegetables. He'd be home a little later, but he had an amazing game so he'd be wanting to talk.

He made it through the door around 11:45 pm, grinning.

"It smells phenomenal in here, Mils. What's the occasion?" He asked, wrapping his arms around Amelia from behind and hooking his chin over her shoulder.

"You had a great game and I wanted to treat you. And I have a surprise for you after dinner," she grinned, putting her hands over his. "Sit, my love. Let me take care of you."