chapter 4: victories and kittens

I get into my position on the track. I like to close my eyes and focus on my breathing before a race. A little trick Kent taught me. Too bad he sold his bike. Kent never raced, but he wasn't hesitant about me borrowing his bike at all, he trusted me. Brody seems to trust me too. I don't like to betray people, I've had that happen to me too many times to ever want to dish that feeling out.

I hear the announcer speaking, he's telling everyone that the bets are no longer able to be changed for this race and I smirk, knowing that people will wish they bet on me.

Once the flags wave, I take off, gliding against the gravel smoothly. Damn, Brody's bike is nice. I pass my opponent in no time, smirking as I do. It takes everything in me to not give a little wave as I pass them. I need focus if I want to win. I can feel the braid that is resting down my mid back unravel in the wind. I can't help but grin at this feeling. Now that I think about it, I must ride again. I can't imagine not feeling this again. Maybe I'll get a job on the side to make sure I'm not relying on these races alone.

As I come to a stop I realize how far ahead I am from my opponent and I grin even more. He glides to a stop beside me and lifts his helmet, "Good race," he says while sticking out his hand. I pull my helmet off and he looks shocked, "Look I know I'm shaped like a cereal box but you act like you've never seen a girl before," I wink. He shakes his head.

"I guess with an ass like that I should've known you were a girl," He smirks. Ew. Brody is now standing behind me and he decides to join this lovely conversation.

"Dude, did you seriously think that line would get you anywhere?" Brody asks in a bored tone.

"Whatever. I let her win anyways," he says.

"We both know you're lying, but even if you aren't I guess I could thank you for paying for dinner tonight," I wink at him while pulling my helmet back on. Brody quickly hops on the back and I take off while he gives my former opponent a cheeky wave. I pull back up to the building where Todd is and park.

////////////////////////////////////

"Good job, Peaches," Brody smiles warmly while handing me my winnings.

"Peaches?" I ask while searching the envelope for $25 to give to Brody. When he doesn't answer and I look up to see him already staring at me. I blush a little and hand him the money.

"Your blushes are so soft, they are colored on your cheeks like a peach. I don't want your money, Peaches." he smiles. This explanation only makes me blush deeper. My cheeks are so red now, he should be calling me Tomatoes.

"Come on, we made a fair deal. You take the money, I borrow the bike. If you won't take the money for this, then maybe you could take it for your other assistance," I smile.

"what other assistance?" He smirks before winking. Ew!! I slap his shoulder lightly. He chuckles and shakes his head.

"No I meant helping me find parts at the junkyard. I want to build a bike for me to race," I smile with hope in my eyes. I didn't exactly ask him for this favor, but I'm not good at asking people for help so insisting that he's already doing it is my current approach.

"You know you don't have to pay me to hang out with you right? If you want to go out with me so much you could just ask," He says with that same lazy smile in his eyes that is normally there during a teasing session.

I laugh, "I thought I'd be helping you out by letting you hang out with me, I love doing charity work-" I say but am cut off by a hand being placed on my waist.

I spin around to see the guy who I raced against grin at me with rotten teeth. I scoffed and pushed him away, "I'll help you pick out parts, love" he offered.

Brody puts a protective arm around my shoulders and pulls me into his side. "I'm taking her, she doesn't even know you dude back off," he states rather aggressively.

The man placed his hands in the air innocently before walking away. "Who wants to hang out with who now?" I say cheekily smiling up at him.

"Shut up," he says with embarrassment evident in his blush.

///////////////////////////////////////

Once I arrive back at the liquor store I take off back to the apartment in my Jeep. I step inside and see a kitten staring at me from the hallway. "Gary?" I ask the kitten.

Gary steps into my view and already has a pleading look in his eyes. I mentally prepare myself to let him down. "Hey Livvvv, I found this kitten outside in the cold so I brought her in- yes, it's a her, I checked- and I fed her my leftovers from the diner. Man can she eat. She really likes me, and she'll probably like you too once you say we can keep her. Plus I'll take care of her and everything. AND she does her business outside, she's a literal dog. Like no kitty pan required Liv-"

"Okay, dude breathe. You can keep her," I say slowly, hardly covering my concerns with feigned excitement. He smiles so widely that I can't even doubt my decision to keep her. He squeezes me so tightly and I peek at the kitten over his shoulder. Well, another reason to continue racing. I hand $50 for groceries and kitten food.

As he opens the door to leave I stop him, "Wait Gary what's her name?" I ask in curiosity.

"Scarlett," he smiles before exiting.

He knows that was our mother's name.

i hope you enjoy! i liked writing this chapter, i can feel the characters developing a little bit.