thirty four

the timeline of this story is all over the joint. pls ignore any inaccuracies

||-||

"Can I ask you something?"

There was no gig today and it seemed that the band were taking some much needed time away from each other. And naturally, Roger and Rebecca had stayed holed up in their hotel room; watching shitty daytime tv and ordering room service that they most definitely couldn't afford.

Roger looked up from where he was scribbling in his notebook, giving her an encouraging smile, "Anything."

"What are you doing for Christmas?"

The tour was coming to an end next week and just the week after, was Christmas. Normally, Rebecca would go home for the holidays but with the whole not talking to her mum thing, she didn't really know what was in store for her this year.

He put the pen down and rubbed at his eyes, making her frown.

"You okay?"

"Hm?" he asked, tossing the book aside, "Yeah, fine. My eyes are just a bit sore."

"How do you mean?"

"They're dry." he shrugged.

"I don't think your eyes are supposed to be dry," she murmured, mostly to herself but Roger still heard and he sighed loudly.

"What are you? An optician?"

He hadn't meant for it to come out so snappy, but it did and when she raised an eyebrow at him, he was quick to shake his head, "'m sorry love. Didn't mean for it to come out like that."

Rebecca put down her magazine and scooted closer, nestling herself under his arm when he raised it.

"Now, you were asking about Christmas?"

She nodded, "What are you doing?"

"I'm not sure," he admitted, "Normally I'd go home to King's Lynn but my mum and sister are going to visit my grandparents. Dad, don't know about him."

"When am I going to meet them?"

"Who? My family?"

She mumbled a quiet yes, toying with her hands, "I mean, you've met mine. Well, my mum."

"Don't remind me," he muttered.

"And I just thought that since y'know, we're moving in together and things are..." she trailed off, a sudden thought hitting her, "Unless, of course, you don't want me to meet them."

"Don't be daft," he said, running his hand down her arm to hold hers, "'course I want you to meet them. Mum said they were coming back the twenty-seventh. So maybe we could go up and see them and you can meet my mum and sister."

"Do they know about me?"

"Mum does. Pretty sure she started planning the wedding when I told her how mad I am for you."

He said it so casually but Rebecca's face flushed at the mere mention of the word.

She waited until she was sure that her face had returned to its normal colour before looking at him again but one look at the smug smile that was on his face, she knew he had seen.

She cleared her throat, "Do you think she'll like me?"

He tightened his arm around her shoulders, planting a soft kiss on her forehead, "She'll love you."

||-||

With the end of the tour approaching, the two of them knew that they really had to start thinking about what larger things of Roger's they were going to bring to their flat.