eighty two

While they waited for Doctor Johnstone to phone them, Roger did his best to help keep their mind off of the waiting.

Over the weekend, he dragged Rebecca out shopping and like they used to do, they ducked into all of the charity shops they could find to see if anything caught their eyes before he took her to Kensington Market, where Roger told her some of the earlier stories about his time working there.

On Monday, Mary rang and asked if Rebecca wanted to meet up for lunch and just as she was about to turn her down, Roger swiped the phone from her and told her she'd be there.

"What did you do that for?" she asked, crossing her arms as he turned to look at him.

"You haven't seen Mary in ages. And the two of us moping around here isn't going to make time go any faster." he shrugged, "Need to get out, love."

She knew that he was right but she didn't exactly feel as if she was the best company right now. Rebecca didn't know how Roger was able to be so normal right now. A lot is riding on these test results and he's acting as if they're no big deal. She's not angry, she's not. She's envious. She wishes she could push the thought of them to the back of her mind too - even if it's just for a couple of hours.

So that's why agrees to go meet Mary. She wants to act normal and after putting on one of her favourite dresses, she grabs the keys to Roger's car as she walks back downstairs.

"Have a good time, love." he says as she leans over the back of the couch to give him a kiss, "And drive safe."

"I will," she promises, grabbing her coat from its hook, "I'll see you in a couple of hours."

"I love you!" he yells as the door starts to shut behind her, making her smile.

"I love you too!"

||-||

Roger told her that Mary would be at the little cafe that was across the street from Biba - it was always a favourite of theirs when they worked there and they did have some good food.

Mary's already there when Rebecca arrives, waving her over to what used to be their table.

"Hi," she grins, standing up to greet her with a kiss on the cheek.

"Wow," Rebecca sighs as she places her bag on the floor and takes off her coat, "It's been a long time since we've been here, hasn't it?"

"It's been a while since we've seen each other too," Mary points out and she smiles sadly, reaching over to place her hand on hers.

"I know, I'm sorry."

"Don't apologise, Rebecca. It's not your fault." Mary waves a hand, "These things happen. We have a lot to catch up on, don't we?"

They chat away and Rebecca fills her in on what she's been up to, how she's trying to get her business off the ground, how married life is, stuff like that.

"And how's Roger? The band? I feel like I haven't seen them in forever."

"They're good," she nods, "Rog says that he's heard they're going to be asked to play Madison Square Garden but they're still waiting for confirmation from Reid."

"Madison Square Garden?" Mary repeats, "That's incredible. That's one of the biggest venues in the world!"

"I know!" Rebecca gushes, sharing the excitement, "You'll come, right? I mean, Freddie will want you there."

"Oh, I don't know..."

"He's your best friend, Mary."

She lets out a bitter laugh, "Is he? I haven't seen him in weeks and I know they've been busy but...I miss him, Becca and whenever I ring to try and talk to him, Paul's always there."