CHAPTER 4 SUSIE TELLS A TALE

Susie led the talking. She was a good talker, and was determined to puzzle Jack as much as she could.

"I've found out where those rogues are meeting," she said. " It's an important piece of news, so please listen. I've tracked them down at last! "

Jack could hardly believe his ears. He listened hard.

" Tell us, Susie," said Harry, playing up well.

"It's at Tigger's Barn," said Susie, enjoying herself. " That old, deserted house up on the hill. A tumbledown old place, just right for rogues to meet in. Far away from anywhere."

" Oh yes. I know it," said Jeff.

" Well, Stumpy Dick and Twisty Tom will both be there," said Susie.

There were "oooohs" and "ahs" from her listeners, and Jack very nearly said " Ooooh " too. Stumpy Dick and Twisty Tom good gracious! What had the Famous Five got on to ?

" They're planning something we must find out about," said Susie, raising her voice a little, to make sure that Jack could hear. "And we've simply got to do something. So one or two of us must go to Tigger's Barn at the right time and hide ourselves."

" I'll go with you, Susie," said Jeff at once.

Jack felt surprised when he heard that. Jeff was a very timid boy, and not at all likely to go and hide in a deserted place like Tigger's Barn. He listened hard.

" All right. You and I will go together," said Susie. "It will be dangerous, but what do we care for that ? We are the Famous Five! "

" Hurrah! " said Kate and Sam.

" When do we go ? " said Jeff.

" Well," said Susie, " I think they will meet there on Tuesday night. Can you come with me then, Jeff?"

"Certainly," said Jeff, who would never have dreamed of going to Tigger's Barn at night if Susie's tale had been true.

Jack, out in the bush, felt more and more surprised. He also felt a great respect for the Famous Five. My word! They were as good as the Secret Seven! Fancy their getting on to an adventure like this! What a good thing he had managed to hide and hear about it!

 My word! They were as good as the Secret Seven! Fancy their getting on to an adventure like this! What a good thing he had managed to hide and hear about it!

He longed to go to Peter and tell him all he had heard. He wondered how his sister Susie knew anything about this affair. Blow Susie! It was just like her to make a Secret Society and then find an adventure for it.

" Suppose Stumpy Dick discovers you ? " said Kate.

" I shall fell him to the ground," said Jeff in a very valiant voice.

This was going a bit too far. Not even the Famous Five could imagine Jeff facing up to anyone. Kate gave a sudden giggle.

That set Sam off, and he gave one of his extraordinary snorts. Susie frowned. If the meeting began to giggle and snort like this, Jack would certainly know it wasn't serious. That would never do.

She frowned heavily at the others. " Shut up!" she whispered. " If we begin to giggle Jack won't believe a word."

" I c-c-can't help it," said Kate, who never could stop giggling once she began. " Oh, Sam... please don't snort again!"

" Sh! " said Susie, angrily. " Don't spoil it all." Then she raised her voice again so that Jack could hear. "Well, Famous Five, that's all for today. Meet again when you get your orders, and remember... don't say a word to anyone about Tigger's Barn. This is our adventure! "

"I bet the Secret Seven wish they could hear about this," said Jeff, in a loud voice. " It makes me laugh to think they don't know anything."

He laughed, and that was the signal for everyone to let themselves go. Kate giggled again, Sam snorted, Susie roared, and so did Harry. They all thought of Jack out in the laurel bush, drinking in every word of their ridiculous story, and then they laughed all the more. Jack listened crossly. How dare they laugh at the Secret Seven like that ?

" Come on," said Susie, at last. " This meeting is over. Let's go and get a ball and have a game.

"I wonder where Jack is... he might like to play too."

As they all knew quite well where Jack was, this made them laugh again, and they went up the garden path in a very good temper. What a joke to play on a member of the Secret Seven! Would he rush off at once and call a meeting ? Would the Secret Seven go to Tigger's Barn on Tuesday night in the dark ?

" Susie, you don't really mean to go up to Tigger's Barn on Tuesday night, do you ? " said Jeff, as they went up the path.

" Well, I did think of it at first," said Susie. " But it would be silly to. It's a long way, and it's dark at night now and anyway, the Secret Seven might not go, and it would be awfully silly for any of us to go and hide there for nothing! "

" Yes, it would," said Jeff, much relieved. " But you'll be able to see if Jack goes, won't you, Susie ? If he slips off somewhere on Tuesday night, won't we have a laugh! "

"We certainly will!" said Susie. "Oh, I do hope he does! I'll tell him it was all a trick, when he comes back, and won't he be furious !"