CHAPTER 13 A GAME AND A BRAIN-WAVE!

Another day went by, and Saturday came. A meeting was called for that morning, but nobody had much to say. In fact, it was rather a dull meeting after the excitement of the last one. The Seven sat in the shed eating biscuits provided by Jack's mother, and Scamper was at the door, on guard as usual.

It was raining outside. The Seven looked out dismally.

" No good going for a walk, or having a game of football," said Peter. " Let's stay here in the shed and play a game."

"Fetch your railway set, Peter," said Janet. "And I'll fetch the farm-set. We could set out the lines here in the midst of the toy trees and farm buildings, looking as if they were real countryside. We've got simply heaps of farm stuff."

" Oh yes. Let's do that," said Pam. " I love your farm-set. It's the nicest and biggest I've ever seen. Do get it! We girls could set it out, and the boys could put up the railway."

" It's a jolly good thing to do on a rainy morning like this," said Jack, pleased. "I wanted to help Jeff with his fine railway the other day, when George came to tea with me, but he was Susie's guest, and she wouldn't have let us join in for anything. You know, she's very suspicious that we're working on something, Peter. She keeps on and on at me to tell her if anything happened at Tigger's Barn that night."

" Well, just shut her up," said Peter. " Scamper, you needn't watch the door any more. You can come and join us, old fellow. The meeting's over."

Scamper was pleased. He ran round everyone, wagging his tail. Peter fetched his railway set, and Janet and Pam went to get the big farm-set. It had absolutely everything, from animals and farm-men to trees, fences, troughs and sties!

They all began to put up the two sets the boys putting together the lines, and the girls setting out a proper little countryside, with trees, fences, animals and farm-buildings. It really was fun.

Peter suddenly looked up at the window. He had noticed a movement there. He saw a face looking in, and leapt up with such a fierce yell that everyone jumped in alarm.

" It's Jeff. He's snooping round for the Famous Five! After him, Scamper! "

 He's snooping round for the Famous Five! After him, Scamper! "