Modifier Errors

Today's lesson is about modifier errors.
Mind this one because again it might appear on LET. Again! Mind this one if you want to pass! haha.

Are you ready? before we start, kindly close your eyes and gently say " Jesus help me cope with this lesson"

Yey!

Jesus nodded and smiled at you
you!

Now you are ready!

Types of Modifier Errors

1. Misplaced Modifier- adjective or adverbs landed in the wrong placed.

( parang pagkahulog mo sa maling tao)

Now ,let's test if you can identify the right one from the wrong one.

1. My boyfriend has only one girlfriend.
2. My boyfriend only has one girlfriend.

See the difference?

I underlined the adjectives and italicized the one it modifies.

Number one has no modifier errors and number two has.

Did you got it?

Let me tell you a secret on how to identify if the sentence has a misplaced modifier.

only,merely,nearly,not,hardly,even,just and almost are the words often misplaced.

These words should be placed in front of the word it modifies.

Here:

My boyfriend has only one girlfriend.

- Notice that the adjective word only was placed before the word it modifies which is one girlfriend, so it has no misplaced modifier.

Another secret clue, read the sentence aloud and if it sound awkward then something is wrong with it.

Still confuse about it? Then go back with our example and analyze it again.

2.Dangling Modifier - modifier that has nothing to modify.
( Kapag tinanung ka ng kaibigan mo kung gwapo ang boyfriend mo, tapus ang sagot mo -- MABAIT )

for example
1. Having you in my life,my dog barks evernight whenever it sees strangers.

2. I am afraid of ghost, I run while chasing the butterflies.

3. Angelica was so punctual, she eats a lot during recess.

Clue : Iyong mapapatanung ka na " Anong connect?"

3.Squinting Modifier -a modifier that feasibly modify the words before it and the words after it.

A two- way modifier.

( parang jowa mo na may jowang iba )

for example.
1. I climb up the hills quickly helps improve my indurance.

the word quickly modifies the first words before and after it.

1.I climbed up the hills quickly.
2. quickly helps improve my indurance.

Got it?

Yey! We're done ! It's my pleasure to help you, now its your turn to give examples of the following errors that we discussed.

Comment it down and don't forget to give this lesson a like. Just click the star below.

Follow me for more!❤