That Morning

Human Form┆Time; 6:23

"Gray-Nii! Wake up! You don't want to be late for your first day of high school!" I heard a pounding on my room door as I tried to open my eyes. No luck. I just wanted to go back to sleep. I turned in my bed, dragging the blanket over my head when my room door swung open.

"Gray-Nii!" My eyes forcefully opened. "What, Mayumi?" I blinked a few times. "Nee-sama told me to come wake you up. And it's a good thing I did, you would've been late for school!" I groaned, "Well I'm up now, go wake up Izayoi or something..." "Everyone's up already, you were the only one that was still sleeping." she responded, pinching my cheeks.

I got up and stretched, "Thanks for waking me up kid." I said, putting my hand on her head and ruffling her hair up a bit. She pouted as I grabbed my towel and left the room, "Gray-Nii I'm not a kid anymore!" I chuckled, she continued, "and set your alarm clock! I'm not waking you up tomorrow!" I laughed, "Okay! Okay!"

▸ ѕcene cнange

I buttoned my shirt and fixed my tie. I grabbed my school bag from off the counter and started downstairs. Sounds were heard from the kitchen and I decided to check to see who it was. I put my bag on the table and peeked through the door to see Ultear preparing breakfast.

"Ohayo Ultear. Need any help?" I asked, walking in. She turned to look at me and smiled, "Ohayo Gray. I see Mayumi was able to wake you up." she chuckled at my expression, "Just kidding, just kidding. Grab those plates and set the table for me. Then you can sit down and wait, I'm almost finished in here."

I picked the plates up and headed towards the table, setting each down on a different place mat. Ultear had everything already set up. I wondered what time she woke up. I sat down and buried my head in my arms, trying to get the teensiest bit of sleep before we had to leave.

"Gray, ohayo..." I picked my head up to see Lyon standing there. "Ohayo..." I yawned, covering my mouth. "Tired, I see." he said, taking a seat next to me. "Yeah well maybe I shouldn't have stayed up so late last night." I admitted.

"Don't embarrass yourself." he began, "Remember, the first impression the teachers will have of you are that you're my little brother. I don't think Ultear will have any problems. You're smart and stuff, yes, but falling asleep in class on the first day isn't going to help."

"Okay, I won't fall asleep." I replied as Ultear came out of the kitchen. "You two, bring the breakfast out of the kitchen, I'll call Mayumi & Izayoi." she said, without even waiting for our response. "She does realize she's younger than us." Lyon said as we entered the kitchen. I laughed and brought out the stuff Ultear made.

▸ ѕcene cнange

"It's 7:30. You should get going Gray-Nii." Izayoi said, practically shoving me out the door. "Yeah, you wouldn't want to be late! I mean, you're supposed to meet up with Shuuya-san and the others right?" Mayumi added. "Don't tell me you forgot!" Izayoi said, snickering. "Of course I didn't! I'll be going now!" I said, running down the street.

The two waved their hands goodbye and then re-entered the house. "Bastards don't have class until 8:30." I muttered, checking my surroundings. "Ultear and Lyon said that they'd leave the house at 7:45, I'm the only one that has to leave so early because I have to meet up with the others. Lucky me." I sighed, checking my watch. "7:37 already, I didn't realize how fast time flies."

Hitou High School was only a 10 minute walk from my house, and only 2 blocks away from where I was now. I picked up the pace, at this rate, I would only have 20 minutes to talk to my friends before class started. We usually had long chats.

Counting off the back of my fingers as I ran, "Okay so I have Shuuya, Shiro, Ultear, and Sora in my class." Turning the corner of the last block, "Momo, Takara, Tsubomi and Ene are in a different one." Finally stopping to a take a breath, I entered the school.

I searched for my classroom and stopped at the doorway. I found that everyone had already gathered, even if they weren't in the class. "Gray you're late!" came an unbelievably cheery voice in the corner of the room. Shuuya waved as I walked in and took the seat behind him. The rest of the group crowding around.

"Where's Ultear?" Shiro asked as I buried my head in my arms once more, "She'll be here in about 15 minutes." I mumbled. "She's just Gray's sister." Sora shrugged it off. "She may be just his sister and not a true member of this group, but she's still welcome here and she hangs out with us." Tsubomi said. I was shocked I could hear all this in my half-asleep state.

"Oh, and you should stop riling up us girls so much. We obviously don't seem to like it." she added. "Okay, okay." Sora answered. "Oi Gray, here's a friendly piece of advice: Don't fall asleep during class." Shuuya whispered in my ear. I sat up rather quickly, "Why does that piece of advice piss me off for some reason 💢" I asked, holding back my sudden anger.

"Maybe because Lyon told you the same thing this morning." a familiar voice said as I turned to face the direction it was coming from. "I didn't ask you to respond." I mumbled, turning away from Ultear. "Ahh but you asked a question without a clear recipient. I was just doing what a good little sister does and answered it." she replied, with a smug smile on her face. Shuuya chuckled, I shot him a glare. "Your smart-mouth comebacks piss me off even more." I said, turning to look out the window.

Ultear sighed, giving up on the argument, "It's 7:57. You guys should start going to your correct classes." she pointed out.

"Ehh, already?!" they pleaded, but left anyway. The ones that were still standing up, took their seats as we waited for the teacher.

A tall and strong looking man with a brief case entered the room. "Welcome to Hitou High School. Most of you have been here for middle school and should know basically how this school works, but it's okay if you don't. We are glad you have decided to study here. Here, we study the types of abilities a person has and can have, and the many different magical items scattered across the world. As well as the legends behind each one and the creatures that roam the land. We hope you come to enjoy your time here. I am Mr.Sweet and I will be your homeroom teacher, as well as your Physical Education instructor. Nice to meet you."