Monster.

Warnings: Occasional language

1st Person POV: Peter Parker

I blink rapidly, moaning softly at the pain in my neck, trying to get a grasp on my surroundings and figure out where I was. I still had my suit on and my mask was untouched, surprisingly. "Karen?" I whisper softly. "You there?" Silence. She must be deactivated or something is interfering with her... reception? I'm not totally sure how she works. After a minute I was able to see clearly in my cell. It's almost completely dark, except the metal door had a slot in it that was open, with minimal, artificial light seeping through. In one corner is a rolled up blanket, in the other water... in a dog bowl. They gave me a f*cking dog bowl to drink out of. I squint, attempting the see if there's anything else in this 10x10, concrete hell-hole. Apparently not. I attempt to stand up and stretch, hopefully bringing some feeling into my freezing limbs, but when I move there's a loud, clanging sound behind me. I flinch and turn around to where my left hand is on a chain, leading high above my head to the ceiling with no visible keyhole. I feel around with my right... there's no way to get this thing off. Footsteps startle me and I move back into the corner, fearful of what's about to happen next. The door is violently opened, light flooding my senses and blinding me. All I can see is a silhouette of a tall... man? I think it's a man, at least.

"You're awake." It wasn't a question. The gruff voice came as an awakening, and panic slowly started to register. "Get up."

"What do you want? Where am I?"

"The former is for you to find out later and the latter is unimportant, as you aren't getting out. Now get up or I'll make you."

I comply, slowly clambering to my feet. He cautiously makes his way over to the chain, apparently wary in case I try do something. I don't seem to have any energy, though... it must've been something they put in the injection. Looking me over, he seemed satisfied with something and reached up to unlock the cuff. He sticks a burlap sack over my head and leads me out the door, shoving my head down and keeping my hands behind my back. We slowly make our way through twisting halls and I soon become disoriented and slightly nauseous. Finally, he leads me through a doorway into an open room. The air feels... lighter and I can see my shadow through the sack so I assume it's well lit, unlike the rest of this stuffy place.

"Hands above your head." The low voice interrupted my thoughts.

"What are you, a cop?" I follow through anyway. My hands, once more, are quickly placed in handcuffs and covered with plastic wrap.

The sack is ripped off my head and I screw up my eyes at the brightness. Everything is bright white. The walls, the ceiling, the door. There are three intense lights on the ceiling and they glint off two metal tables, each covered bleached cloth that rest by a wall to my right. The lights and smell of bleach is already giving me a headache. I barely register the camera in the corner... until I do. I glare at it until Sir Laughsalot blows a dog whistle into my ear. The piercing noise was unlike anything I had experienced before and I writhed in pain, pushing my ear into my shoulder as much as I could to block out the noise. He stops and my ears ring in pain.

"Now that I have your undivided attention, I will introduce myself. My name is Axel and I have-"

"Alright, Axe-hole."

"It's Axel, you fuckin-"

"I don't know what game you're playing but I wouldn't mess with me. See, I'm friends with the Avengers... and they don't really like to play around or have anyone take one of their teammates." I'm an Avenger now, right?

"But see, Spiderman, that's the thing. Do they really care about you? I mean, what are you, really, except another freak with powers they 'befriend' so you don't go haywire and kill everyone?" His voice filled with concern and sympathy, and it seemed genuine.

What? My eyebrows knit together underneath the mask, but I don't say anything. He slowly stalks toward me.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you're a great person and all. I respect you, what's why I've kept your mask on. But I just need you to understand, you don't matter to them. They don't care at ALL about you. You're just another monstrosity they have to keep under your wing and keep tabs on. Why do you think Anthony gave you that AI anyway? To help you? No, more like to track your every move, your vitals, your fighting patterns, your strengths and weaknesses. Watching you, waiting for the time to take you down when you slip up. And you have slipped up. I've seen it."

No...

"I'm keeping you here because I care. Not because I want to hurt you, but if it gets my message across better, I will."

With that, Axel dramatically leaves the room and slams the door behind him, each brown hair behind him.

I'm left alone, my headache slowly increasing at every moment. But what if he's right? I mean, nobody's ever been particularly kind to me. They tolerate me enough but they don't trust me... Mr. Stark's the only one who knows my name! Do they even care? They don't care, Peter. They think you're a monster. And they're right. I shake my head in confusion. Where did those thoughts come from? I'm a hero, right? I save people. I just need some sleep and maybe I'll wake up refreshed in the morning.

A/N: 980 words without the note. Thanks for reading if you've made it this far. How is it? Should I continue? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks again, Aliyah