Chapter 11: T'Challa

The timing of the holiday was convenient for my sister, but it made for a stressful evening, especially since my Mother was wondering why Shuri hadn't joined us.

Nakia was able to convince her that she was showing Mr. Parker around, but she was still worried that something was wrong with her. I decided that I would explain what she was confronting tomorrow, but I wanted her to have one more day without worrying about our safety. She deserved to relax.

I took Nakia out to a balcony where we could look over the whole of the kingdom, and we watched as the sunlight faded and the light of fires on the ground began to spread. The streets were already clearing for the parade later, and we would all head down to watch. Well, all except Shuri.

The Queen could tell I was worried. "Has she called you recently?"

I shook my head. "I imagine she is working on it, I doubt she is in trouble."

"She doesn't have to be in trouble for you to know what is happening. Perhaps you can help her. Just because she is taking on this mission doesn't mean she has to work alone."

I raised an eyebrow at her. "Am I to assume that Mr. Parker doesn't count?"

Nakia laughed, and leaned her head on my shoulder. "You know what I mean."

"No, really," I teased, covering her hand with mine. "Perhaps you should go down there with them."

"You said it yourself, they will be fine." She turned her head to watch the lab. "I just don't want anyone to get hurt."

I rubbed my thumb across the back of her hand. "Shuri has been trained as I have been, and Mr. Parker can take care of himself. There's no need to worry."

"It's not them I'm worried about," she said, and she lifted her head to look at me. "Whoever gave the vibranium away to HYDRA may have betrayed Wakanda, but they are still our people. Do we not have a responsibility to them as well?"

I looked down, then back at her. "How would you confront them?"

"I would need to know more first," she explained. "I would not rush into a fight before knowing as much as possible. Fighting blind to the truth is as bad as fighting on one foot."

Chuckling, I pulled her close. "I don't doubt you could still fight, though."

"Of course I could, but I don't want to."

I kissed her forehead, resting in her presence while it was near to me. We sat there for a while, watching the dying sunset.

After a few moments, she spoke quietly. "Look, if these people are not ours, they can answer to their country's government, but it is not our job to condemn people, but to protect them."

"I know," I responded. "I don't want to make the mistakes that were made before me."

"And you won't, T'Challa." She turned to look at me. "You won't."

I wrapped an arm around her shoulders, grateful for the woman I never deserved.

~

An hour later, after Nakia had gone to change for the parade, Shuri had still not called or showed herself. Mother was getting impacient, so I decided to make the call. If something important had happened, it was best to know before someone was hurt.

Holding up my wrist, I connected to Shuri. Within seconds, her image appeared above my hand. "Enjoying yourself, brother?" She asked teasingly.

"Very much," I responded, smiling, "but I would enjoy myself more if I knew why you and Mr. Parker aren't joining us. Mother is concerned as well." I walked away, where no one else could overhear us.

Shuri looked around once before lowering her voice. "We think we have an idea of who helped HYDRA. Peter is undercover, watching them, but not making contact."

"Them?" I questioned, and Shuri sent three files to my bracelet.

"These three factory workers have been behaving oddly. It's the best lead we have so far. No proof, though, not yet. That's why we are watching them."

I nodded. "Good. Nakia will be glad to hear that, she doesn't like the idea of fighting our own people, and you realize why."

"I do, but if our people are endangering others, are they not our responsibility?"

"To protect, Shuri. Our responsibility is to protect the endangered, not fight the dangerous."

"Baba told us both that there is a line that must be drawn."

I sighed. "You know he was not always right."

Shuri softened her tone. "Maybe he is this time. Think, T'Challa. If we spend our whole lives protecting people, but never deal with what endangers them, then what will happen when we are not there to fight anymore?"

She had a point. Shuri was a lot like Mother, but she also had Father's sharp mind, both in science, and also in judgement. It was not often that she doubted herself, and when it did happen, it normally meant danger was on its way.

"These people are smart enough to steal vibranium right from beneath us," she went on. "We cannot wait to find out what else they are smart enough to do."

Finally, I responded. "Just be careful, Shuri. I do not want harm to come to our people, not unless it has to. I don't care who they are."

"I know, brother. We will be careful, I promise."

"I know you will," he grinned. "And by the way, how are you enjoying Mr. Parker's visit?"

Shuri laughed. "It is good to finally have someone who can appreciate my work!"

"Hey, I appreciate you very much!" I protested.

"Yes, but he understands what I say! The white man has a better grasp of technology than you do!"

"How is that my fault?" Shuri didn't respond, but laughed and closed the call.

Sometimes, I wonder about my sister. I went to tell Mother that Shuri would come when she could. It was time for the parade.