IX

The summer following their sixth year in Hogwarts was hot and stifling. It seemed almost claustrophobic as the walls seemed to close in around them. McGonnagall had warned her after the death of Dumbledore that war time was upon them, that life was about to come a lot more difficult for everyone especially those with muggle blood. Her closeness to Harry made it even more intense. Ron felt it too. She saw it when he would talk about his family, worry about them and what might happen to them if Death Eaters decided to use the Weasley's to force Harry out of hiding. Arthur worked in the Ministry, Fred & George lived in Diagon Alley, Fleur and Bill worked in Gringotts, Ginny was at Hogwarts. The Weasley's were probably one of the easiest targets ever set. Hermione made the difficult decision to take her parents' memories of her and send them away to Australia. She kept their memories safe, in her clutch bag that had been charmed to hold everything they may need after they would leave to find the horcruxes.

She arrived at the Burrow the evening after she sent her parents off. Ron met her at the gate and helped her with her bags. When Mrs Weasley came to the door to welcome her, she simply said "Hello Dear. Are you alright?" and that was all it took. Hermione started crying and sobbing, flood gates of tears opening and she couldn't stop.

She didn't know whether she would even survive the year or be around to find her parents again. If she died in this war, they wouldn't even remember to miss her. While she was glad they were safe, there was no one out there worrying for her like that anymore. It was sobering to be reminded of her mortality at only seventeen. She sat at the kitchen table crying into Ron's shoulder for over an hour leaving the meal Molly had prepared for her untouched. She pulled herself together long enough to tell them she wasn't injured and what she had done to her family. Ron helped her to her room around midnight, leaving the light on for her and telling her she could come get him if she needed him, that he was there for he whenever she wanted.

Hermione was glad in a way that Harry hadn't been there. Although she would have been grateful for his awkward patting of her back and attempts at comforting words, she knew that he would have blamed himself.

She settled into the bed still fully dressed. Ginny had been asleep when she arrived so Ron had put her in Fred and George's old room. It still smelled like them and she couldn't help herself as she closed her eyes and pretended Fred was there with her. She woke from the comforting noises of the chaos downstairs. She listened in to tell apart the voices. She picked up on Ron's low mumble and Mrs Weasley's comforting coversational tone. And then, that laugh. Two of them.

Mrs Weasley's scold came soon after "Boys! Be quiet! The girls are still sleeping"

Hermione suddenly became nervous. She hadn't spoken to Fred since the trip she took to the joke shop with everyone nearly a year ago. She knew he was alright as she constantly checked with Ron and Ginny but other than that she had no idea how he was. She forgot about her pyjamas and bed hair as she jumped up out of bed and went down the stairs as calmly as she could. Ron was at the kitchen table having breakfast as his mother served it up for him.

"Oh good Hermione dear have some breakfast" Mrs Weasley smiled and pulled out the chair across from Ron.

She gripped Hermione's elbow comfortingly and smiled up at her. Hermione had grown again this Summer, putting her a few inches taller than Mrs Weasley now.

"Long time no see 'mione" George's comforting voice drew her attention to the twins she had missed with an ache in her chest all year.

"Hi" She felt herself breathe the word, as if she'd been holding her breath for ages.

They were standing in the kitchen, mugs of tea in their hand as they leaned against the kitchen cupboards.

She didn't care if Molly and Ron saw them but they were bickering at the table too much to notice the relief that flooded through Hermione and the way her shoulders relaxed.