Chapter 1 - The last day

"The fuck you want?" I called at the man in the doorframe.

Even though he was already bent over, he still surpassed the height and the width of the entry, which was a good approximation of my measurements. Although early in the year, the intimidating man only wore a dark green, long-sleeved shirt. Dark brown plates of armour dotted on his chest, shoulders, and underarms.

That's a berserker. I've never seen one before, but some of the roamers who occasionally travel through our little shithole of a village tell stories about the vast measures of this race.

Aren't they supposed to be quite aggressive? Ah, fuck it, doesn't matter. Can't someone have some peace and quiet after beating the sunrise to collect what little milk our three sick cows give?

"I'm here on behalf of the royal government!" He bellowed at me. The deepness of his voice was comparable with an enraged "Moo" of a stubborn cow.

"Are you here to collect more of our food reserves? It's after the winter, we don't have anything left, you idiots."

I know this specific green and the dark brown colour of his clothes way too well. Also, the octagonal army crests on his shoulderplates is a dead give away. Army tax collectors come by three to four times a season, taking whatever they want of our products. Once I objected and they beat me up. That doesn't keep me from making snappy responses, though.

He ignored my retort. "Every able man in this realm shall join the army to protect the capital."

"Fuck off!"

"It's an order."

"Oh, okay, then... Fuck off!"

"You damn..." He squeezed his massive torso through the door just to stub his head on the low ceiling.

I chuckled.

His eyes looked as if they were about to pop out of his skull.

As he got closer, I had to look up even more from my sitting position to meet his tanned face.

Oh boy, that will hurt. It's the tax collectors all over again.

Maybe I should think more about my actions.

The berserker was coming so close, I could almost see the flustering of his nose flaps.

Mama called out, "Now, now, now, he doesn't mean that."

The man stopped in his movement and examined my mother that stepped into the room.

"Now look what you did. You woke up my mother," I blamed the berserker.

The sunken eyes in my mother's pale face turned to me.

"Don't be so rude. And you are joining the army. Come on, say it."

Mama is right, like always. I knew it was my only option. Either I say it now, or they'll force me to.

I sighed. "Fine!"

"Is there any other man in this household?" The berserker asked.

"My father, but his leg is stiff, he can't even walk properly."

His right leg had been heavily wounded in a battle somewhere west.

"I decide whether he can still fight."

"Good luck, not even ten horses could get that drunken piece of shit out of bed."

A second time, Mama saved me. "I can assure you, he won't be a good addition to the army. Also, there's just us, and somebody has to take care of the crops."