"oh, he stealin', he stealin"

Smoke floated around you; the smell of cigarettes and roses came with Rhys and flooded into your home. You gaped at him at like a fish, not knowing what to say. That was odd, because you always had something to say, no matter how depressing the situation was.

Rhys had thrown on a black jacket over his white shirt and Gucci shades. His men behind him were all armed to the bone and wore all black. Those must be his mafia buddies, you deducted. Your eyes trailed to his hands, which were moving from side to side. .

"Rhys," you whispered, holding up a hand. "Aren't guns like, illegal?"

He dropped the gun. It clattered on the floor carelessly, and you flinched. Upon seeing you, he ran to you. "What happened, [Y/N]? Where's the danger? What happened? You asked for help, and I came as soon as I could!" Rhys towered over you, showing his true height and build. In that moment, you realized that life with the mafia had built him up like a war machine.

"Uh," you said, scratching the back of your neck. You started to blabber. "There was no danger, really. Actually, when you think about it, the danger is in ourselves and in our hearts—"

His emerald eyes sharpened. "Don't lie."

You laughed. "Oh, Rhys. We're all natural liars."

"What was the danger then," Rhys demanded. He no longer questioned you, but demanded. His voice lowered the room a few degrees. "You called for help, as I recall. What made you scream. What made you swear. I would like to know, [Y/N]."

"Fuck, bro," you said. "My roombas."

"Your what."

You mindlessly pointed to your two baby circular disks who were cleaning the floor around Rhys' mafia men. Surprisingly, the men did not look down at the roombas, but stood there, stoic as a statue. As a roomba his one of the feet of the men, it backtracked and started cleaning a different area.

"Your roombas," Rhys repeated. "Your fucking goddamned roombas."

"No, let me explain!" you whined. "I accidentally broke a statue, and my new roombas, which I don't know how to control, started to clean it up. Embarrassing, really, and let's not talk about it at all—ever again."

"[Y/N]," Rhys said softly. "That's not what happened. I know it. You can trust me."

But that was exactly what happened, however it wasn't the answer Rhys wanted. Rhys wanted his answer, and he would always get it. In this case, you hadn't a clue what to offer him.

"Uhhh." Your eyes shifted around.

It was sad, but your parents were never home or seen with you. They existed, but seemingly stayed home when you were away, and they were away when you were home. The only occasional time the three of you were together was when it was time for report cards to come home. So thus, your eyes had befallen upon a photograph of a stockphoto family.

You'd substituted it two years ago, and they never noticed.

They never did.

It was then you got your idea. "Well, Rhys, this is sort of embarrassing as well to say aloud, but the truth is—I wanted an excuse to spend time with you!" you said, flipping a thumbs up. Of course, that wasn't your intention to spend time with Rhys, but he was your friend so it was fine if you spent a few hours more with him.

His eyes softened. "Really?"

"Uh. Yeah."

"So you wanted to spend time with me by pretending you were in danger so I would come immediately," Rhys mused to himself. He had literally just said that he did not like lying, but it seemed that lies were more appealing to him than anything else at the moment. "Smart."