𝟬𝟬𝟭. the sounds of war

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀CHAPTER ONE01

CHAPTER ONE
01. THE SOUNDS OF WAR
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                                     THE HOUR HAD NOT yet passed nine o'clock and already the screeching sounds of manic, tortured laughter had its tight, horrid hold on the throat of Manhattan's silent, slumbering city. They had been fighting on the brink of exhaustion for hours, small fleeting sips of ambrosia rejuvenating enough strength to keep friends alive and foes back a little while longer. It had not taken long for Kronos' forces to push their way onto the bridges that sectioned the Manhattan borough from every other exit and entry point, but the Demigod army had done well, there was no denying that. For even while being parted from their most volatile and aggressive collection of fighters, they had managed to keep large groups of enemy forces from the centre most points of the city.

          See that was the problem, it did not matter that the Ares campers had joined in the fight (albeit far too late for Eirenes liking), their ranks had still been diminished by a third of what was already flanking the empire state building.

          Kronos' forces however, seemed to have a never ending well ... end of monsters.

          The brash, echoing sound of metal clashing against metal was a sign for Eirene to keep moving, and for every slice, every cut, scrape and scratch that managed to land against her skin as she manoeuvred through the battle, she returned the favour back tenfold. Eirene was lucky that many of the creatures that had sided with Kronos did not have immediate thoughts ━ a long term goal of kill, death, destroy! Perhaps. But if these monsters had had brains, well they wouldn't have simply been swinging claws and clubs around the air like a child with a nerf gun.

          Every slow twitch of her eye showed images of her friends collapsing against abandoned cars and each shallow breath hit her harder within her lungs than the last, but the sounds of swords shattering against the ground and arrows whirling through the air was a strange music that filled Eirene's ears with an unfortunate glee.

          It was a dance to the death that surrounded her, sending shivers down her spine with anticipation of joining every individual fight each time she sent a monster to reform once more in the deepest pits of Tartarus. It was a toxic trait she had, thinking that she could do everything all at once without any assistance ━ it was not hubris that constructed this way of thinking, it's just something that has always been. And Eirene knew it wasn't pride (ambition perhaps, blind folly possibly, hunger definite), afterall she could ask for help with everything else ━ but in a fight that was her domain, her world, and Gods help the poor soul who gets in her way.