𝟬𝟬𝟮. for life

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀CHAPTER TWO02

CHAPTER TWO
02. FOR LIFE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                            THE BRIDGE TO OLYMPUS WAS evaporating. That much was clear when Eirene caught a glimpse of the cracking marble bridge as soon as the four demigods stepped out of the elevator and onto the six-hundredth floor of the white marble walkway. Every step caused cracks and splinters to appear at their feet.

"Jump!" Cried Grover, which was easier said than done considering he was part mountain goat. He sprang quickly to the next slab of stone, while the one holding the four demigods tilted at a sickening angle towards a certain death.

          Thalia jumped next, yelling "gods, I hate heights!" as she went. Percy followed in suit, without any trouble in sight. But Annabeth, well she was in no shape for jumping. She stumbled back.

          Eirene watched closely as the boy caught onto the blonde's hand. For a second the girl thought that Annabeth was going to pull the two over. Her feet dangled in the open air. Her hand started to slip until Percy was holding her up by only the tips of her fingers. Then Grover and Thalia grabbed his arms and the boy found extra strength. Eirene exhaled in relief, Annabeth was not going to fall.

          For a while he and Annabeth stayed trembling on the pavement, their arms wrapped around each other like they were each other's only anchor in the world. It was ridiculously sweet and Eirene (despite the burning in her chest) could have spent her next lifetime spouting proverbs about how their evolving infatuations would be cause of poets waxing love within the lines of their otherwise dreary compositions; but the marble was cracking, splintering from the weight of her unbalanced form quicker than it had before. She jumped easily, Grover helping her steady her footing, not that it had done much, Eirene had neither coordination nor balance.

               And here was the end.

          It was odd for Eirene to turn and see that she could have so easily fallen to her death, though her thoughts were abandoned with the cracking and consequential crumbling of more supportive marble from the bridge. The five ran quickly, Percy pulling Annabeth along so that she wouldn't fall behind and Thalia and Grover taking the front of the group.

          Annabeth glanced back towards the elevator of the six-hundredth floor, of which was completely out of reach - the polished double metal doors hanging alone in chaos, attached to nothing, being held by nothing, all the while still currently being six hundred stories above manhattan. Eirene hoped that if anyone from camp half blood decided now would be a good time for a joy ride they stepped off of the elevator before realising they were trapped.