Chapter Five: What am I?

Jace's eyebrows knitted together when you said that. "What do you mean?"

"Something is wrong with me. Ever since we went to the City of Bones I've not been the same. I- I keep seeing this man. I've never seen him in my life but my body tells me I'm supposed to be scared of him." You said, your voice in a soft whisper so only Jace can hear you. "I also had this premonition that Simon died which he did." You gestured to where Simon was laying. "And for some reason I told you, a complete stranger, this. You probably think I'm crazy, right."

"I don't think you're crazy. Something happened to you at the City of Bones. You were bitten and attacked by a werewolf." His voice was soft when he was around you unlike when he was with the others where it oozed with authority.

"So, what, I'm a werewolf?" You asked panicked.

"That's the thing, you're not a werewolf... you're something else." Jace took a step towards you and noticed the different emotions that crossed your face, from panic to confusion to scared. "Look, we're going to figure this out together. I may know someone who can help but it'll have to wait till tomorrow. Tonight though you're going to go and sleep because no offence you look terrible." You laughed lightly. If someone told you a week ago that you would be standing in a basement of an abandoned church, which actually is an institute, with a Shadowhunter who kills demons for a living and is a calming presence for you, you would have laughed and told them they were crazy.

"Okay, but where will I sleep? I thought us mundanes weren't allowed in the institute."

"I think we can make an exception this one time." Jace smiled at you. "Come on, I'll show you where you can sleep." He motioned for you to follow him which you did. Through the hallways to where a number of bedrooms which looked identical were. Jace led you to an empty room where you would be sleeping.

"Thank you." You smiled gratefully at him.

"If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. My room is just down the hall, a couple doors down." He gave you one last smile before shutting the door and leaving you alone to sleep.

You must have fallen asleep because the next thing you knew you were jolted awake to a sitting position on the bed and did what your whole body was telling you to do and that was to scream. Jace came crashing through your door, his hands holding his ears. He ran towards you shaking you gently to get you out of this trance you were in. "Y/N!" He shouted. You finally stopped screaming and you looked around you to see glass everywhere. You then looked up to the door to see a sleepy looking Alec, Izzy, and Clary all looking at you with concern. Your eyes then fell to Jace who was sitting on your bed holding you. He had a trickle of blood coming out of his ears from your screaming.

"Di-did I do that?" You gasped reaching out to Jace's ear but then with drew it straight away before actually touching it. "I'm so sorry." You looked away horrified that you had the ability to do that.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm okay." Jace replied gently lifting your head so you were looking at him. "We're going to figure this out. How about you try and go back to sleep." Before Jace could get up and leave the room so you could sleep you grabbed his arm.

"Stay. Please." You pleaded not wanting to be alone again. Jace nodded and laid beside you on your bed on top of the cover. You snuggled up close to him, laying your head on his chest, and began to fall asleep again.

-

The next day Jace took you to see Magnus like he said he would. To say you were nervous was an understatement. You were going to possibly find out what you are and you don't know whether you're ready to learn the truth. You stood in front of the door, your hand raised to knock on it but it just stayed frozen, you couldn't knock on the door and Jace seemed to notice your hesitation as he knocked on the door for you. He smiled at you which you returned. The door opened revealing a well dressed man who you assumed is Magnus. "Ahh, Jace, Y/N please do come in." He gestured. "No Alexander today?" You and Jace raised your eyebrows in confusion as to what he was on about.

"Err, no it's just me and Y/N. We need your help. Well, Y/N needs your help." Jace told Magnus. Magnus nodded and gestured for you to sit on his couch.

"Very well then, how may I help." Magnus asked sitting in the chair opposite you and made a drink appear in his hand.

"I don't know what I am." You admitted. It was Magnus's turn to look at you in confusion.

"What do you mean?" He wondered. You turned to Jace who nodded at you to tell you, you could trust Magnus.

"When we went to the City of Bones I got attacked by a werewolf. The thing is, I'm not a werewolf-"

"But you're not dead..." Magnus acknowledged.

"Exactly, I'm something else though. I keep having these dreams where I see a man who I've never seen before. I also had a premonition about Simon's death."

"This man... does he have longish brown hair, about Luke's age?" You nodded. "And does he have scratch marks on his face?"

"Yes." You nodded slowly, suddenly afraid what Magnus was about to tell you.

"I thought as much." He blurted out not meaning for you or Jace to hear him.

"Why? What's going on Magnus?" Jace immediately chimed in, in a protective manner which surprised you.

Magnus hesitated before responding, mulling over how he was going to put it. "I think you getting bit by the werewolf was intentional."

"What do you mean?" You asked with disbelief.

"I think this is part of Valentine's plan. For you to turn into a banshee." You were about to ask something but it was like Magnus read your mind. He rolled his eyes and clarified. "A banshee is a harbinger of death. He probably wants you as you can predict death but also if you have your powers controlled you can actually be very strong in a battle." When Magnus told you everything you felt like the air had left your lungs. You knew that you didn't want to know the truth. Oh how you wish you could turn back the clock to not knowing. You stood up abruptly combing you fingers through you hair and began pacing. Panic coursing through your veins.

"So, what I'm also Valentine's target?" You finally asked after stopping momentarily from your pacing.

"We won't let him get to you. We'll protect you. I'll protect you." Jace assured you getting up from his seat on the couch and walked up to you to comfort. When he placed his hands on the sides of your arms you gasped, a bad feeling came over you. You tried to hold in the scream, not wanting to hurt anyone, but the it overpowered you and came out. An ear piercing scream left your mouth causing Jace to be pushed to the other side of the room and him and Magnus to hold their ears in pain. You fell down in exhaustion, tears running down your face. Jace came over to hold you, you tried to pull away but he was stronger than you so you fell into his embrace. You were trembling, scared about what you saw. Magnus noticed this and flicked his wrist producing a puff of blue smoke to come from his hand to put you to sleep.