How I Met Your Mother

One of the most bizarre days of my life? Hmm... that's tricky, son. Oh, hang on. I've got one. Your mother will like this one.

Once upon a time, it was a cloudy Wednesday afternoon. How cloudy? Haha, well. Very cloudy, son. You couldn't see past the clouds—the sky was grey.

I was at the tuck-shop just outside my apartment. When I arrived at the cashier to pay up, there was a woman in the line in front of me. Her name was Susan.

Susan handed the cashier lady a single box of chocolates and her credit card. A moment passed. And then, the woman said, "I'm sorry, ma'am... you've no money."

A muscle in Susan's jaw ticked, "I'll hand it to you tomorrow, just give me the chocolate."

"I'm sorry ma'am, I can't do that."

The air was devoured by the emotion in Susan's eyes—pure, raw danger, "Look. Just give me the chocolate, and no one gets hurt. Okay?"

You should have seen her.

The cashier lady hesitated, "I-I'm sorry, ma'am. I told you, I can't do that."

That's when I stepped in, "Hey, hey, hey." I turned and looked Susan in the eye. We didn't know each other's names then. "Are you okay?"

"I'll pay you later, I said!" She shouted, eyes flicking back and forth between me and the cashier. "Why can't you leave me alone? I-Is there no decency in this world?"

"Ma'am, I'm sorry. Hand me the item."

"Get your hands off me!"

"I'm sorry, ma'am—"

"Excuse me, ma'am, please," I looked Susan dead in the eyes. She stopped squirming. Her blue eyes locked on mine. I whispered softly, "Calm down."

Her eyes were a faint, cloudy blue. A sea in the afternoon, surrounded by haze. But within the haze lay a broken soul, shattered and more damaged than anyone could guess.

Something in her eyes broke. She shuddered and recoiled back from me, her eyes never leaving mine.

I asked again, "Are you okay?"

"No," she said.

I paid for the box of chocolates that day, as well as our meal that night by the Golden Bridge. She wore sweatpants and ate without a word or even a glance up in my direction. No, son. She didn't look at me. Well, I suppose it was a little rude, but... I couldn't blame her.

At the end of the night, I walked her home. A long, silent walk.

"Are you feeling better now?" I mumbled quietly, glancing at her. And you know what, son? She nodded. She answered me.

What happened after? Haha. Well, son... three years later, she married me.