Chapter 2: New Friends

I stirred awake after feeling something shaking my shoulder

I stirred awake after feeling something shaking my shoulder. When I showed no signs of opening my eyes, someone drew back the curtains to let in the morning light. I pulled the blanket over my head with a groan, refusing for my eyes to see the brightness of the sun.

Though I was still half-asleep, I was sure that I heard two voices giggling from beside me. It was strange since my mother was the only other woman in the house besides myself.

(Did one of her friends invite themselves in again? Maybe it's time for me to go to the bus terminal already. I guess I should wake up then...)

With my eyes still closed, I sat up on the bed and stretched my arms. My body still felt drained as if I had been working nonstop on a thesis and didn't get my full hours of sleep, but something didn't feel quite right.

I finally opened my eyes and found myself staring at an unfamiliar wall. The colors of the room were all wrong and I don't exactly remember owning a dresser or a bunch of thick books. My mind buzzed with confusion as I sat there like the world around me was completely unknown.

"Hm?" I blinked several times, trying to register where I was.

(This is... This is definitely not my room.)

"Good morning!"

Someone jumped on the bed as they greeted with a cheerful smile. I looked to my left and a girl with orange hair and eyes was peering at my face.

Startled that I wasn't the only one in the room, I screamed and backpedaled away from the stranger.

"Oh! You're..." I pursed my lips, recalling our meeting from the night before. "Err, Amelia, right?"

"Yeah, that's me!" She looked at me with a smile when I remembered her name. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. I just got excited since it's your first day here in the academy."

"Academy?" I repeated her words, looking over at Liz who was fixing her uniform. "Oh yeah... I'm supposed to go with you to class, right?"

Liz nodded eagerly, holding up a pink dress towards me. It was the kind that looked frilly and cute, but wearing something like that would definitely make me look more... childish.

"You can borrow my clothes for now. Hurry and change so we can tour you around before first period starts!" She grabbed my hands and pulled me out of the bed. "I can't wait for you to meet everyone!"

Her excitement was infectious and I found myself looking forward to seeing more of that beautiful castle. Liz and Amelia ushered me to the bathroom where I showered and changed into the dress Liz lent me.

 Liz and Amelia ushered me to the bathroom where I showered and changed into the dress Liz lent me