Chapter Sixteen: The Big Bad Wolf

The entire city was on lockdown. 

Five girls had been murdered. First Rosie, then Merra, then Rapunzel, then Eloise, then Bella. Hardly anyone dared venture out on the streets for anything.

I'd run through the woods for four more days until we caught him. 

And as Arreus snarled at me from the cage, as his amber eyes stared me down, all I felt was an intense hatred for the creature whose kind had killed my grandmother, the person I'd loved most in the world. 

Was my emotion clouding my judgement? Perhaps. But I had no doubt in my mind that this man was a cold-blooded killer, even as he cried out in protest while they led him away. 

Gran smiled at me. "Nice job." 

I tugged the cape off and shoved it into the basket. "Thanks. Here, hold this?" 

He took the basket somewhat unwillingly. 

"So." I stared at the cage. "What happens now?" 

"He goes to trial. The whole thing will probably be sped up since the mayor wants answers, so I think the trial will be tomorrow. It should be over quickly." 

"Good." I exhaled. "I don't ever want to have to wear that cape again."

Gran shook his head, his eyes far away. 

I grabbed his arm. "What's wrong?" 

"It's stupid," Gran shook his head, "but I was just thinking... there's so much prejudice against werewolves already. A werewolf killing five people... you know. There's going to be hate crimes against them, that kind of thing." 

I didn't really know what to say to that. "I'm sure- I'm sure the GGPD will do their best to make sure everyone stays safe." 

Gran looked down at me, unbelieving. "Will they really?" 

Those thoughts were unsettling and I pushed them away as I made the kids dinner and told them about the arrest. 

Alice would be coming in two days with their permanent home. It was hard to believe, but I'd grown pretty fond of them. I'd miss them when they were gone, not that I'd ever say it. 

Hansel pushed around his carrots with his fork. "Are you sure it's not a witch?" 

"Yes, Hansel," I sighed, "it's not." I looked him in the eye. "You can't just go around believing every crime is done by witches just because one hurt you." 

"But isn't that what you're doing?" His stare was challenging, searing. 

I took a breath. "No. There's evidence-" 

"Fine." Hansel rolled his eyes. "If you say so." 

"Can we go see the trial?" Gretel asked. 

"Why?" I asked, startled. "It'll probably be boring." 

Gretel shrugged. "I like the justice system." 

I did not address that further and allowed them both to go. Hansel declined but Gretel was so excited she hardly slept. Sometimes that kid truly scared me. 

But she was up at seven-thirty when Gran came to pick us up, dressed in a solemn black dress and her hair in french pigtails. 

"Wait, she's coming?" Gran looked confused. 

"I like the justice system," Gretel repeated seriously. 

Gran's lips twitched. "Okay then," he replied, matching her tone. 

On the ride there, Gretel peppered us both with questions about the judge, the jury, the sentence, and the defendant. 

She certainly knew a lot for an eight-year-old. 

The courthouse was crawling with press and civilians, so much so that the case had to be moved into a courtroom with a balcony for spectators. Because Gran was with the GGPD, and we'd helped solve the case, we were able to have a seat on the floor.

When they led Arreus in, his face was just a mess of intense sadness, of defeat, and the pain in his eyes struck me. 

He didn't look like a strong, powerful werewolf. He looked like a broken man.

Gretel narrowed her eyes. "That's weird." 

"What?" I turned to look at her.

The judge entered and everyone stood, causing us to be silent. 

Everyone's feelings were obvious as the trial began. They knew he was guilty. They wanted him to be guilty. And the trial moved very quickly. 

I hardly paid attention until one of the jurors, who was Unsam's other brother, sentenced Arreus. 

"For your crimes, first-degree murder, I sentence you, Arreus Clawman, to death." 

Arreus paled. He looked like he'd seen a ghost. Or like he'd heard he was about to die.

I gripped Gran's hand. Gretel leaned against me, covering her face. 

And then there was cheering. Loud and clear, from the balcony. 

"Kill that dog!" 

"Beasts deserve to be put down!" 

"Monsters have no place in society!" 

Gran's grip tightened on my hand. "Let's go. Now." His face was like thunderclouds. 

Gretel narrowed her eyes. 

"What are you- don't do any-" 

But I was too late. Suddenly, the entire balcony went mute. Gretel smiled triumphantly. 

Arreus relaxed slightly.

"You can't just do magic," I hissed, hustling her out of the courthouse. 

Gretel shrugged. "They were very loud." 

Gran and I shared a look. 

"At least that's over with," I sighed. 

"Oh," Gran shook his head. "I'm pretty sure it's not."