sweetener, thank u next & ariana grande

so, i want to make something clear at the beginning of this chapter. i'm not a huge ari fan. trust me, i really like some of her music, but i'm not the type to buy merch or go to her concerts or something. i'm like a casual fan. 

but i can say that 2018 was a huuuuuge year for ariana, and 2019 will probably be too.

sweetener and thank u, next (her new album) both performed really well, although in my opinion neither of them have topped dangerous woman, which is still my personal favorite. a

and honestly i think ari needed a win. she went through so much these past few years. first the manchester bombing, then the whole pete davidson drama that went on, then mac miller's death. i think "thank u, next" (the song, not the album) was the perfect "moving on" song, and i'm glad she's shifted her focus on self-acceptance, 'cause honestly we all need a little more of that.

personally, i enjoyed thank u, next (the album) better than sweetener. don't get me wrong, sweetener was a bop, and i loved all three of her main singles ("god is a woman", "no tears left to cry", "breathin'"), but something about that album didn't immediately connect with me. maybe it's because of "the light is coming". ughhh that song. i felt like that was the one song that really didn't need to be on there. it was so repetitive, and i hated that voice in the background that kept repeating this one phrase over and over. nicki saved in imo but still. it just...wasn't it, sis. at least not for me.

but thank u, next was amazing. i just finished listening to it on spotify and it's,,,so good. like wow i'm honestly so shook. the album is really cohesive, there wasn't any song that stood out like a sore thumb (eg. "the light is coming"), and i loved the messages and themes that she explored. i think either "nasa" or "bloodline" is my favorite, but all songs on there are bops!! 

i think this album really made me appreciate ariana so much more. i remember listening to some of her early hits like "problem" and "focus" and thinking, "oh yeah these are nice" but then i never really listened to any more of her songs. then dangerous woman came around and i was like, "hey this is pretty good!", but i still didn't pay so much attention to her. then 2018 happened, and ariana's just here dominating the pop game. she's also managed to change her sound a lot over the past recent years and only grow more popular, which is a difficult thing to pull off, so respect to ari for that.

i know her music's not for everyone but i would 10/10 recommend thank u, next. there are so many good songs and i'm honestly in love with this album. here's some of my fav songs off the album:

nasa

bloodline

in my head

7 rings (issa bop!!)

(the iconic) thank u, next 

anyways that's all for today!! 

see u next time

- rose