23

When Wes finally got back to Dalton, David was like a second shadow. He was always there just incase something happened.

Nobody bothered him much or even talked about him until the next Warbler meeting, when a boy approached the council afterwards.

"Wes is back. He should be here."

David glanced up at him. He knew the boy had a twin, he just didn't which one he was. "Well, he's not."

"Why not?"

Looks like he didn't have to know. They were both there. David sighed. "Various reasons."

"We need his voice,"

"-and him."

He set down his pen, pressing his fingers to his temples. The meetings hadn't been going very well without Wes. "He can't sing, so you can't use his voice."

"Why can't he sing?"

He wished they'd get a hint. "Punctured lung. He's not supposed to sing while he recovers."

"He could still be on the council like he always was-"

"-before it all went to shit."

He pointed to them with his pen. "If you can convince him of that, you can have him back. He's the most stubborn person I know."

They nodded and David noticed a third person with them as they were leaving.

"Wait," he said after them, standing up for a reason he didn't even know. They turned around. "How'd you get that cut?"

The third boy had a bruise and small cut over one of his eyebrows. It was scarily close to some of the injuries he had seen on Wes when he wasn't hiding them.

The boy frowned. "What do you- oh, that. It's-"

"Why do you want to know?" one of the twins interrupted.

Cutting off his answer before he said it. His heart sank and he looked down at the desk. "Curiosity."

The boy sighed. "This idiot threw a notebook at my face because of his terrible aim and is now being an asshole about it."

David felt embarrassed that he overreacted that much. It was a paper cut. "Oh. Right."

"Hey," the boy spoke up again, voice softer. "Thank you, man. If it was what you were thinking... The world needs more people like you."

He could hear them leave, sinking back down to his chair.

"What was that?" Thad, who had seen the entire thing, asked.

David bit his lip, drumming his fingers on the desktop. "When someone gets punched in the face, a lot of times that's what it looks like. Then the other kid cut him off, and..."

"Oh. You thought..."

"Yeah."

Unprofessional Without A Witness [Discontinued]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें